Experienced Mac & PC user finally tries iTunes-Love it!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by docprego, Jan 3, 2008.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Until I got the bug to buy an iPhone I never even tried iTunes. Now that I will be getting the iPhone I started thinking that I might like to put some content on it. Let me tell you, I am blown away by this application! It is so much fun to use that I want to spend money on the ITMS simply because it is so enjoyable. No wonder Apple dominates this market space.

One thing that has stunned me is how easy Apple has made it to add any music you already own. Pop in a CD and it asks if you want to add it to your library. I click yes and 5 minutes later it is converted to AAC and in my library complete with album art! It is equally easy to add MP3 files that I already owned, again with album art.

I haven't even looked at Podcasts yet, that looks like another whole enjoyable aspect of this. I am also really excited about the prospects of rentals arriving this month, another reason to love iTunes.

Even without having bought my iPhone yet, iTunes has been a blast to use. I can only imagine how much more I will appreciate it once I get the iPhone! I even went on eBay and bought an Airport Express so I could stream my music to my stereo system. I am not easily impressed but iTunes certainly did impress me.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can you really claim to be experienced if you hadn't tried iTunes? :p

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

As of late - I'm tiring of iTunes, mainly the playlist / library management. Constant duplicates being created, songs vanishing without a trace, in spite of my best efforts to prevent this.

I miss my Winamp. Llama Whippin Good

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Its called stubborness ;)

5. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Very experienced, definitely more so than most. Been on the net since the mid nineties, owned dozens of computers. But I have never been interested in music and the computer before, the iPhone has sparked this interest.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I started using iTunes not too long after it was released for Windows. It was the first media player where I had my music all in one place. Yea there were other similar programs out there (WMP, Winamp, MusicMatch) but none were/are as simple as iTunes.

That is a real pain.

7. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

It bothers me that most people see how Apple works using iTunes, with its brain dead search, limited boolean capabilities etc.

Make it smarter, then put a smart OS on iPods.

8. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I wonder why people get duplicates in iTunes. It never happens to me. :)

9. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

How do you get your songs from iTunes to your iPod. I wonder if different procedures have different problems.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Just givin' you a hard time. But jeez, if you are that impressed with iTunes wait until you have your iPhone, it'll blow your freakin mind!

Also wait until your iTunes library becomes massive and you go all OCD about it with organizing it (like me).

11. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

It's kind of nice as I have been saving up for my first Mac that Apple decided they didn't need me as a customer. My wife got her iMac for last year's Christmas, and I'm getting a Mac Pro after Mac Expo.

I expect iPhone technology will change rapidly and I will like whatever's available whenever it is an option for me.

12. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

This could be the case indeed.

My music is organized in playlists. I tell iTunes which ones to sync automatically.

I never understood why people wanted to sync manually. All you get is a lot of extra work.

13. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

FTR I don't sync manually - and my iTunes library was getting FUBAR with dupes long before I even got an ipod. (or any mp3 player)

14. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

My small iTunes library has already got me OCD about organizing. I really like the 2nd view option of the three at the top (the middle one-not sure what it is called) that shows the album art on the left and the tracks on the right and you can scroll up and down the "pages" through your albums. Coverflow is nice too but I keep thinking I can double click an album and it will flip over to show me the tracks, I guess I have watched too many iPhone promotional videos. Why did Apple not keep this consistent between iTunes and the iPhone/iPod, that puzzles me as it is very intuitive to want to flip the album over and see the songs.

I am really liking the search function too. It seems very quick, does it stay this fast as your library grows?

Some other questions:

1-Is it possible to rip DVD's (ones you own) to your library?
    2-If possible will it have artwork like the music?
    3-If possible is there a way of streaming these using AppleTV?

Thanks!

15. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

1. yes with handbrake not itunes
    2. no
    3. yes take the mp4 created by handbrake and add it to your library.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's truly bizarre mate. I hope there's nothing wrong with your disk that is causing some data loss for you.

17. cazlar macrumors 6502

1. As mentioned, either use Handbrake to go directly from DVD to m4v or you can use something like VisualHub to re-encode existing videos (avi, etc).
    2. You can. I use MetaX to search and tag my videos/TV shows I rip from DVD. Works well. See threads such as this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=384485 for how far some people go in terms of organizing videos in iTunes.
    3. Yep. Generally, as long as it goes into iTunes, AppleTV should be able to play it (unless you are doing tricky stuff like using reference movies to AVI files, and even then you could still do it if you added Perian to AppleTV via a hack).

18. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the information. Will ripped DVD's streamed to AppleTV look as good (or close to) as the original DVD? My purpose will be for playback on a projector so quality counts.