Experiences about an upgrade to flashdisk - MacBook late 2008

jobooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Hey Mates!

I have a Mac Book late 2008, the first one with the alu body. It's the best Notebook I've ever had. Now I'm thinking about to buy a new one because of the performance.
I've already done some upgrades on the RAM and Harddisk, that's the reason why it worked so finde for this long period.
I see just one more chance to get more performance out of the old machine and it is to replace the Harddisk with a Flashdisk. Can you recomand this or do you have any experiences about this? Is it a big step in performance?

Thanks in advance!

AlexxRyzhkov

macrumors regular
May 17, 2014
Hey Mates!

I have a Mac Book late 2008, the first one with the alu body. It's the best Notebook I've ever had. Now I'm thinking about to buy a new one because of the performance.
I've already done some upgrades on the RAM and Harddisk, that's the reason why it worked so finde for this long period.
I see just one more chance to get more performance out of the old machine and it is to replace the Harddisk with a Flashdisk. Can you recomand this or do you have any experiences about this? Is it a big step in performance?

Thanks in advance!
Upgrading the Harddrive to an SSD is quite a big performance boost. A 256gb SSD can be bought for only $110 so I would totally recommend it

Maydon0z

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
I have a 2008 alu macbook myself and added a 120gb SSD and a 750gb harddisk caddy. This baby is on fire now :D

The silence and speed of the SSD is great to have. Since the price of SSDs are relatively low, I can only recommend it. Look for guides/tutorial on how to do it in these forums or in iFixit, it really is a piece of cake.

Hezzerlah

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Columbus, OH
Upgrading the Harddrive to an SSD is quite a big performance boost. A 256gb SSD can be bought for only $110 so I would totally recommend it
Recently upgraded the RAM in my Late 2009 unibody and upgraded the hard drive to a 256GB SSD. Performance has been amazing. Getting a new computer just isn't in the budget for right now and with these upgrades I don't feel like a need one anymore (for the time being). Hopefully it still acts as snappy on Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.