Experiences about an upgrade to flashdisk - MacBook late 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jobooo, Sep 25, 2014.

1. jobooo macrumors newbie

Hey Mates!

I have a Mac Book late 2008, the first one with the alu body. It's the best Notebook I've ever had. Now I'm thinking about to buy a new one because of the performance.
    I've already done some upgrades on the RAM and Harddisk, that's the reason why it worked so finde for this long period.
    I see just one more chance to get more performance out of the old machine and it is to replace the Harddisk with a Flashdisk. Can you recomand this or do you have any experiences about this? Is it a big step in performance?

Thanks in advance!

2. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

Upgrading the Harddrive to an SSD is quite a big performance boost. A 256gb SSD can be bought for only $110 so I would totally recommend it

3. Maydon0z macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 alu macbook myself and added a 120gb SSD and a 750gb harddisk caddy. This baby is on fire now :D

The silence and speed of the SSD is great to have. Since the price of SSDs are relatively low, I can only recommend it. Look for guides/tutorial on how to do it in these forums or in iFixit, it really is a piece of cake.

4. neilly93 macrumors member

5. Hezzerlah macrumors member

Hezzerlah

Recently upgraded the RAM in my Late 2009 unibody and upgraded the hard drive to a 256GB SSD. Performance has been amazing. Getting a new computer just isn't in the budget for right now and with these upgrades I don't feel like a need one anymore (for the time being). Hopefully it still acts as snappy on Yosemite.