Experiences going from 2G to 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boiee, Jun 27, 2009.

1. boiee macrumors member

Wanting to make the jump from 2G to 3Gs, but before I do I wanted to get feedback on how your experience went/is going? Any kind of feedback - good or bad - is greatly appreciated.

Personally, I'm gonna miss the metal back and the fact that I don't have to use a case. (Going naked is the best. Haha.) If/when I go to a 3Gs, I don't want to use a case/film, but I also don't want to get scratches/cracks all over the place. But I know the internal upgrades are probably worth it.

THANKS again for all the feedback! (Tried searching and nothing of this sort came up)

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

First I thought it was pointless to upgrade from 3G to 3G S, considering the limited new upgrade that came with the latter. But boy was I wrong!

3G S is incredibly faster, and every app operates in a snap. For example, I was using Beejive on my 3G and it was painfully slow to open the app and load the chat screen. With 3G S, it opened instantly without delay, and Beejive has truly become a replacement for text message.

PS. I stopped viewing websites on my 3G, because it wasn't that fast. 3G S changed all that...it's incredible. You have to use it to believe it, and if you are a heavy iPhone user, you NEED to upgrade it.

3. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

My first thought was WOW. The speed difference is amazing. Opening apps now is split second instead of tap and and wait. The 3G speed over Edge by itsself is enuf to make me a 100% happy convert. I personally love the feel of the plastic back and its not as slippery as the metal back in my opinion. Another nice improvement is the speaker. Its way louder than the 2G.

4. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I think the internal upgrades more than make up for the external downgrade. I don't use a film but I do use a case. I certainly don't miss the excruciatingly slow EDGE network or the slow processor and meager ram of either previous iPhone versions.:D

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I LOVED my 2G 8gig but the Edge Network was REALLY starting to become a PITA...
    I skipped the 3G upgrade because I did think it was THAT much of an upgrade considering it is the same internals but I was regretting not having 3G internet speeds...
    This 3GS was the perfect upgrade for me as it combined the 3G upgrade with FAR superior internal components plus the better camera/video recorder, voice control, A2DP and the compass (which I think is very cool).
    I have said this a few times but the upgrade from my 2G 8gig to my 3GS 16gig was similar to the upgrade from my G4 PowerBook to my MBP...
    Truly jawdropping speed and graphics difference in just about every program and app...
    All this combined with the 3.0 OS upgrade and I couldn't be happier with the 3GS...:D:apple:

Oh, and although I loved the metal back of my 2G, I do like the sleek look of the 3G and 3GS...(mines black)...

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There are 2G responses in the "The 'I Got My iPhone 3G S' - First Impressions Thread" sticky at the top of the page.

FYI, even Edge is noticeably faster on the 3GS than the 2G.

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You won't regret it. I just have a screen protector on mine. Nothing on the back.

8. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

So can you just swap SIMs back and forth between the 2G and 3G S?

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

TBH I thought I was going to regret spending the $399 ($418) for the early upgrade to my 3GS from the 3G but the difference in usability makes it beyond worth it.

I definitely did not expect the speeds that I've been getting. Plus the oleophobic screen is amazing.

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

If you don't want to get a case but some protection maybe check out the invisiblesheild

I went with an incase.

Going from 2G to 3GS myself I can tell you that you won't regret it.

For one phone is a lot faster on the function side and the 3G network makes you wonder how you ever dealt with edge.

11. JollyRogers macrumors regular

The apple store I bought at said no because the 2G isn't a 3G sim. I ended up backing up my 2G and then just restoring to my 3G S. Worked a charm.

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I went from 2G to 3GS last week. Everything is faster. If you have the means, I highly recommend it. It is a sweet ride.

13. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My 2G had a 3G sim...I just swapped to activate my 3GS and it worked great...