experiences moving from a silver sport to space grey or gold?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nicho, Dec 11, 2016.

1. nicho macrumors 68000

i've had a silver sport since close after launch day, and i upgraded to a s0 SS in the October but kept the sport - since March i've been able to have both paired and use the SS during the day and (mostly this way round, anyway) the sport at night as a silent alarm and such. I've been thinking about getting a s2; my excuse being that I'd like to take my daughter swimming without the nagging "but my activity rings!" doubt that annoyed my wife so much the summer just gone. also, potential things like running without my phone... it was a tossup between the space grey nike with the volt band and the gold with concrete (because i like the gold/red look that apple released for chinese new year last time around). now my dad has offered to buy my old sport watch off me for my mum for a decent price as he doesn't think i need 3 watches and i'm inclined to agree. but...

i have multiple apple sport bands - white, black, blue, orange, red, green... the royal blue and gold nylon band, a leather band i put together on my own connectors and the apple milanese loop (though the latter two i'd never wear with a sport watch anyway, so that's not a concern) - my main worry is a grey or gold watch won't match anywhere near as many bands as the silver one does. has anyone else been through the same and found it frustrating to match the space grey or gold cases to bands, or do they look better in person than you'd expect? i'll be keeping the SS anyway and probably wearing that out most days, but i'm torn now - get a totally different colour (as the SS and silver sport are fairly samey) or just upgrade to the same model but newer?

2. Wentzelg macrumors member

Wentzelg

I originally owned a S0 SS and now have the S2 SS and the Nike in silver. I purposely bought the silver model to avoid just that issue. I know me and the matching issue would bug me. With the silver model they all look decent. I have the apple link band and could even wear it with the silver model if I wanted. I have too much invested in bands with silver links to start over with another color. Also, even though Apple's anodizing is top notch, a scratch on the silver is less likely to show than a scratch on the gold or space grey. The other colors look nice and if you are ok with maybe only wearing sport bands, then that might work. You still will have the pin to contend with though.

greg

3. chuyn macrumors 6502

I've contemplated the same myself. Getting a sport just for well, sports. My plan was to get the gold sport. It's a different colour than my space black and I'm just personally not a fan of the silver sport. Of the bands you listed... white, black, blue, red, and gold nylon should all look fine with the gold sport watch. Gold won't match as many bands, but any of the bands you have that you might not like with the gold, you can just wear with your SS anyways.

If I had the regular SS, I still would not get the silver sport because it's too similar. Same reason I wouldn't consider the space grey because I already have a space black.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

No. There is no similarity what so ever. The aluminum is a brushed look with a More muted silver tone. The stainless 316 L has a high shine finish.

5. chuyn macrumors 6502

They're both silver. Yes, one is matte, one is shiny if you want to be that technical. But they are more similar than SS vs gold. As OP is discussing, he even feels they are similar and contemplating getting a completely different colour. I'm not arguing or trying to convince you/anyone that they are similar enough to confuse the two colours. But to me, I see it as similar silver colours (SS and silver sport) or dark grey/black colours (space black and space grey). As opposed to owning a space black and rose gold. Or an SS and gold.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I understand what you're saying. But when someone is wearing the stainless or silver aluminum model, it's immediately apparent which is which. I don't see any similarity in color.

7. chuyn macrumors 6502

You're not reading what OP even said. I'm not even saying I'd confuse the two colours. Or that you should not notice the difference. What he said is he feels the two are kind of "samey" and pondering getting a completely different colour (gold) or getting another silver one again to replace his old silver sport. It feels like you're arguing the similar vs very noticeable difference in colour of silver/SS just for the sake of arguing

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I'm not quoting or referring to the OP. I'm quoting you. For reference, here is what you quoted:

"If I had the regular SS, I still would not get the silver sport because it's too similar. Same reason I wouldn't consider the space grey because I already have a space black."

Again, I disagree with your comment above. As I previously stated, there is zero similarity between the two. Stainless and brushed aluminum look nothing alike. I'm not arguing with you, it's an observation and fairly evident the differences. No different that Space Gray and Space Black differ with the shine and overall tone.

I'm only educating you of the differences. And threads don't have to refer to the OP for everything, which is is why I corrected you. I'm not arguing, being there is nothing to argue here. I'm only quoting your bolded statement above.

9. nicho thread starter macrumors 68000

Semantically you can't (justifiably) disagree with him on this matter for two reasons. One, it's his opinion - not your opinion. Unless you're inside his head... Second, and more importantly, too similar does not mean they have to be similar in the same way you could say a "cream" colour was too dark, despite being much much closer to white than black. While the shine and overall tone are clearly different, the colour space they operate in is similar. Even if that is the only similarity, it qualifies as being too similar if someone's opinion is that they don't want two watches with cases in the same colour space.

Not wanting to derail my own thread too much... i've pretty much convinced myself to go for either space grey or gold because if my wife ends up ditching iOS i may well end up inheriting her sport - and having an older model that looks exactly the same* as my new one would be pointless. so... gold or grey?

(*inb4 someone says the extra thickness is noticeable and it therefore isn't exact)

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I can disagree with whatever post I see fit and Opinions differ. It's how threads operate. Hence, your comment "Unless your inside his head", Which is why opinions differ on forums. I'm not altering anyone's Opinion, just stating my own opinion based off Chuyn's bolded post above. And there is no semantics involved, it was straight observation based off his post, vice Versa.

Back on topic: I previously owned the Space Gray Sport. My thoughts are the Space Gray looks nice. However, being its a darker tone, It will show scratches or chips easier (Being the anodized aluminum chips versus compared to the stainless variant scratching).
    That said, I like the Space Gray a lot over the gold. But, the Gold might be more likely Of pairing more appropriate colored bands for the gold tone.

11. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

So much text in this topic. It's a different color. Everyone has a different taste. Decision is up to OP. /thread