Experiences on first models after a hardware redesign

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaydot, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kaydot macrumors regular

Hello! This is my first post to the forums.

I was reading some of the threads regarding people's thoughts about upgrading, and generally I agree with most posters. The current model is great, and if you need it, you should buy it without hesitation.

However I saw this post and am intrigued to hear more thoughts:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13328405&postcount=18

I have seen multiple posts in agreement on a couple points. a) The first models after a hardware redesign have either been replaced with a bug-fix model much sooner than the regular refresh cycle b) The first models bask mostly in the redesign, but the second model may get fixes/better hw in a short period of time.

What are some thoughts and experiences on this?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have never heard A) as truth, but I haven't studied it.
    B)I suspect this is true. The early 2008 and late 2008 MBPs (which brought the unibody refresh) were similar in specs.

3. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I went for a first generation unibody macbook as soon as it came out, and it did have a few problems. Namely slanted function keys and a loose headphone jack - both relatively minor.

In fact the loose headphone jack worked in my favour, as only a few weeks ago I finally got round to doing something about it before my applecare ran out. They tried and failed to fix it and after 3 attempts gave me a brand new i5 pro.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I bought a Rev. A "unibody" MacBook Air(with the 1.6 and 80GB HDD) off a friend in college for $400, well I traded something worth $400 for it. I actually forgot about this until just now reading this thread, as I only had it for a week or so before I sold it for a grand.

It did have a lot of things that made it seem more like a prototype, it was cool how thin it was and everything, but felt flimsy, got HOT, and got HOT. Looking back at it I shouldn't have sold it because I was using a Win Vista laptop at the time, but selling it for 250% of what I paid was something I couldn't pass up.

5. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I picked up my Late '08 MBP on the day they were released. The hard drive did die the following July but it was replaced under warranty by Apple. It has performed well and I recently upgraded to 8GB of RAM and am quite happy with it.