Experiences wanted: Crossover vs Parallels 4

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MiataMac, Nov 24, 2008.

1. MiataMac macrumors member

Greetings!

I've been using Parallels for a few years now, and while it usually runs smooth, there's still some stability and performance issues that I'm not 100% happy with. But, I can usually live with it as I don't use windows that much.

I also use Boot Camp, so Parallels is booting my Boot Camp partition just fine.

But now Parallels 4 is out and I also managed to get a free copy of Crossover when it was available for free a few weeks ago.

I just don't know which way to go, Crossover or upgrade to Parallels 4? I just want the one that offers best stability and best performance (I'm using a 2 year old MBP with 2gb of ram, so it's not the fastest out there).

I'm aware that I can just give them a spin, but if somebody *knows* that Parallels 4 is much better than Crossover (or vice versa), it would be great if I could save some time and start using the winner :)

Thanks!

2. goobimama macrumors regular

Parallels 4 is much much faster than 3.0. So I'd suggest you at least try that before going to Crossover.

We'll be doing a test of all the three on Smoking Apples and see which is the best way to run Windows apps on a Mac.

3. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. Do you have an ETA on that?