Experiences wit TV remotes?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by T'hain Esh Kelch, Mar 26, 2011.

1. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Have anyone tried out any of the TV remote solutions that are out for iOS? Since I'm planning on getting a Plex Mac Mini media center connected to the TV, it would be nice to control both from the same remote..

2. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I find the Remote HD app meets all my needs, can connect to both my Apple TV as well as my computer. Check out their list of functions, i have a feeling it will work also with other media center setups:

http://www.remotehd.com/Mac/Features

From another page on their site:

"Remote HD is an iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch application that gives you complete access to your Mac/PC/AppleTV as well as supplying rich controls for media playback and running presentations.

It works like an Apple Remote, and it can do more:
    Provides a wireless remote, wireless keyboard, mouse, trackpad for your PC.
    Automatically changes remote's layouts based on active application - specially designed for HTPC.
    Audio Streaming from your PC.
    Super fast VNC like access to your remote computer.
    Launch, switch and even quit applications running on your PC.
    Desktop search integration - search and launch items on your PC.
    Access your PC over the internet (WiFi, 3G, EDGE, GPRS).
    Remote HD also doubles as a remote for Mac. read more."

3. T'hain Esh Kelch thread starter macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Thanks for the reply! Non iPad 2 threads seems to get lost quite quickly at the moment.

But my question was about controlling the TV, not the Mac. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I think this is what you're asking for. I have a Logitech Harmony One remote right now setup to control my TV, TiVo, PS3, and Apple Tv2. The ATV2 is JB with XBMC installed and it works like a charm. For about 2 days when I first got it though, I was having the comical problem of the remote triggering my iMac as well as the ATV, until I discovered how to disable the iMac IR receiver.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch thread starter macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

That would be an option. I assume it will also work fine with Plex, since it works with XBMC?

Would prefer something iOS related, but a real remote would also do fine.. :)

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah it'll work with whatever you throw at it. It actually sends the same codes out as the stock Apple Remote does, so the ATV2 (or Mini, etc...) won't even know the difference.

7. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

+1 for Logitech Harmony. They are great remotes (I have the 900) and I am able to control all my IR devices with it. Have banished 9 seperate remotes to the back of a cupboard and my living room looks a lot tidier as a result! :D