Experiences with 4k on a 12" MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by j.quintana, Oct 10, 2015.

1. j.quintana macrumors member

I know it can handle only 30hz via HDMI, but since I have no experiences with that I'm asking you what that does mean in real life?

I bought the 12" MacBook for maximum portability I can get with OS X and I plan on selling my Windows PC and buy an iMac, but as I am undecided which one it should be and if I should wait for the Skylake 27" update (which might be released in 2 months or maybe in a year, we don't know yet), I wanted to give 4k a try with an external monitor and my MacBook.

I know it's far from being the optimal solution, but it is not for more than a year. So I'm asking you if this is usable or too laggy? I won't be doing much more than surfing, streaming videos (1080p is enough, 4k without stutter would be nice) and some light (!) photo editing with small Lightroom catalogues.

Is that possible or does the 30hz refresh rate ruin everything?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

3. pjfan macrumors regular

What are you doing with your screen? Is this for documents, photography, or video?

In my opinion, the Dell UltraSharp series offers great visuals for office work, where I would pick the 25". Personal preference, however, but 4K is unneccary for me at this time when talking external monitor and my work. Text is the most import visual in my day-to-day.

4. j.quintana thread starter macrumors member

Mostly web surfing, some video streaming and even less photo editing, but for the latter 4k would be awesome since I am using only 1920 x 1200 px right now.

What is the highest vertical resolution that the MacBook 12" can do with 60hz? 1440 px? Then I could at least go for the widespread 2560x1440, which would be an improvement over my current resolution until I will buy a Retina iMac.

But generally speaking: Would you prefer 4k/30hz for photo editing or 60hz with less resolution because 4k/30hz has some serious disadvantages like lag etc.?

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

4k has way too much lag to be usable IMO.

I would definitely take 2560x1440 or the curved type I linked above. Either of those will be driven at 60hz.