Experiences with budget 4K monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by leerichards1, Jul 17, 2014.

1. leerichards1, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

leerichards1 macrumors regular

Do any readers here have any hands-on experience of using a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with the following 4K monitors.

AOC U2868PQU
    Asus PB287Q

Both models are definitely in the budget range as far as 4K monitors are concerned, but reviews seem to be very positive for the price. In the Czech Republic, the AOC monitor is available for an amazing price.

AOC Review

ASUS Review

Samsung also have a monitor in this price range, but I've discounted that due to the terrible stand that it comes with which means you cannot make any adjustments at all.

Monitor will be used primarily for editing with FCP X. Aware that TN panels are 2nd best these days, but the reviews for both screens say that the TN technology has obviously been improved. Both of these monitors also use Single-Stream Transport which is a big improvement over the first 4K screens that were released.

Wondering how the OS performs on these screens, any issues with 60Hz, how does standard 1080p video look etc? Worthwhile as a main monitor, use just with FCP or simply wait until better screens come along in the same price range as it's too early to dip in at the moment. All advice/comments appreciated.

2. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I have no experience with those monitors, but what I'd be concerned about is that the review you posted (there is only one link) keeps mentioning specific aspects are good "for a TN monitor". That doesn't tell us clearly how good it is period (regardless of the price and tech used). I would have liked a more torough comparison with IPS monitors, because it seems the reviewer simply has low standards because it's TN and cheap.

3. leerichards1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, understood. That's why I'm hoping someone who's actually used either of them can offer a comparison if possible. Thanks.

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I have the Asus and LOVE IT...repeat LOVE IT.

I've had TN's before and this is by far the best TN I've ever had.
    Is it IPS? No. But it's a great TN and a wonderful value for 4k at the moment.

Was just at Apple store for another reason and glanced at the non-retina screens. Ugh. Just looks dirty (text especially) once you get used to a large hi dpi screen.

5. leerichards1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the update, that's certainly a ringing endorsement :)

Are there any areas where the budget aspect of the monitor is apparent, or are you completely satisfied with it across the board?

Thanks.

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Probably just that colors and viewing angles aren't up to IPS standards. (it's a TN for sure)
    Don't get me wrong - When a 32" IPS 4K monitor can be had for well under $1k - I'm there.

But it could be a long wait. The next Asus 32" ProArt 4k is looking to be $1750 or so - Way more than I want to spend and that one isn't even out until the end of this year as it is.

Perhaps Seiki will be the first to give us what we want. 30"+ 4k @ 60hz SST IPS for under $1k.

7. Mums Suspended

Mums

That's the first I've heard about the AOC U2868PQU. It's £100 cheaper than the ASUS PB287Q in the UK. Does anyone know if it has the same tearing issues as the ASUS/Samsung with the D700s?

8. Loc macrumors newbie

I have the Asus PB287Q but I can't get 60hz with my late 2013 Macbook Pro 13". I configured the monitor to use DisplayPort Stream 1.2 and connecting it to my MBP with a DP 1.2 to mDP but no dice.

9. leerichards1 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe it's not possible with the 13" model. From the Apple support webpage about 4K displays :

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) or Mac Pro (Late 2013) also support 60 Hz displays using multi-stream transport (MST).

I know the Asus monitor uses SST so not sure if the statement is applicable, but seeing as you're having issues, seems it may be :(