Experiences with buying refurbished MacBook Pro 15" or 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amilia, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Amilia macrumors newbie

Thinking of purchasing a MacBook pro. Prefer the 15" since it is quad core. However, not sure if the duo core of 13" is good enough. Would like the late 2013 version with Iris or Iris Pro.
    I am seeing some in the certified/refurbished section of the Apple website. Can you share with me any experiences, good or bad, on buying one of these versus a new one? I will need to mainly use it for photo editing and graphics design using the Adobe suite of products.
    Will the duo core and Iris suffice or should go for the quad core and Iris Pro? Thank you.

2. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Apple refurbs are as good as new. It will look new, feel new, and carry the same warranty as new. The only difference is the box it comes in.

Personally, I prefer the screen real estate of the 15". The 13" can get the job done though.

3. kathyricks macrumors 6502

The base model 15" is moderately and noticeably faster at photo editing tasks than any 13", but the 13" can still get the job done. The 15" is also moderately and noticeably bulkier and heavier. So there are inescapable trade offs between the 13" and 15". If you buy from the Apple refurb store you have 14 days to try it out with the option of exchanging it for another model if you should so desire. Or even getting a full refund. So you really can't go wrong buying from the refurb store.

4. evancg macrumors newbie

I just got an early 2013 base model 15" rMBP. It came in a generic white box, but everything in the box was wrapped as if it were new, including the MacBook. So far no issues (crossing my fingers).

I do some light gaming and wanted the GT650m over the Iris Pro (and faster SSD, ThunderBolt 2, and Haswell). Either way though, after my experience with this, I'd definitely but another Apple refurbished product.

5. audiomixer macrumors member

I have purchased a late 2012 mbpro13 and just purchased a late 2013 MBpro 15 retina 1T SSD, 16 gig ram (top model) from the refurb apple store. No problems at all. They are just as good or perhaps even better than new since they are tested before they are offered for sale. This according to a family member who is up high in the apple company.

6. wrx09md macrumors member

Buy the refurb and get applecare from a third party cheaper and your set.

7. stempsons macrumors regular

Yes, and sometimes they come with higher specs then what was ordered...I ordered an i5 version and and it came with an i7.

8. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

There is going to be no differences buying refurbished vs new, aside from the fact that older discontinued models may still be available as refurbished, without a new option. Also, refurbished units are only available online, so if you don't want to wait for shipping, it's not a good option.

If a model you are looking for is available as refurbished and you have no way of getting the new one cheaper (i.e. student discount, etc), there is no practical reason not to go for refurbished.

9. DFWHD macrumors regular

I'm about to sell my refurb 13" cMBP and pick up a refurb 15" rMBP. Everyone in the family has a refurbished Mac purchased over the past couple of years. All like new, with full warranty and not one issue at all...

10. nealh macrumors 6502

I agree in general but I got a refurb 15in late 2013 that unfortunately they did not fix the issue for return. When the laptop sat closed for more than 15min it would not turn on unless it was attached to magsafe adapter and plugged in.

I wanted to cry. But Apple was great on the return of course. I am afraid it to reorder and get the same 15in unit. LOL. I was clear to them on the return as to the problem and I hope the logic board is replaced.

Screen was perfect

11. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

I don't understand why anybody wouldn't buy from the refurb store. They have the exact same warranty as new computers.

I got a 15" refurb last year. No problems yet.

12. Amilia thread starter macrumors newbie

How about battery issues with refurbished Macbook Pros

Thank you for all your comments. I have one more question relating to buying refurbished: do any of you see a diminished life on the battery after say a year or two since there is a certain life cycle for each battery?

13. kathyricks macrumors 6502

I've heard from others that refurbished Macbooks have extremely low battery cycle counts (e.g. 3-25 cycles). So the refurbs are essentially brand new.

14. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

That's true! My battery was only TWO weeks old, according to coconutBattery, when I got my refurbished 15" rMBP.

15. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I lucked out on 2 refurbs - one had a battery count of zero (!) and the other a count of 1.

Refurbs are generally as trouble free as new - the only difference typically is the box.