Experiences with NEC monitor support?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tzhu07, Apr 4, 2013.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

Unfortunately, I need to exchange my NEC PA271W after about 2 years of use, and they've agreed to do it.

I have two concerns with NEC's monitor exchange program:
    1) The replacement unit is not necessarily new, but rather it may be refurbished or "like new"
    2) I have to pay for shipping of the defective monitor to the NEC warehouse, which will cost me $35 minimum since that monitor is one heavy mother-bitch

So in other words, if the replacement monitor still has issues, I would have to pay another $35 to replace it again. And I simply do not know what "like new" means to NEC and what their tolerance for dead pixels and discoloration on their replacements is.

I feel like I'm gambling here.

2. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Maybe try to contact NEC customer support and clarify if NEC can shoulder the second $35 shipping in case the refurb monitor they sent you has issues.

3. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

As a side note, that is one beautiful monitor. I have 2 of them for my PC's.
    Good luck.

4. tzhu07, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

tzhu07 thread starter macrumors regular

tzhu07

Yup, that's what I ended up doing. I called them and the rep said that if the replacement monitor is also defective or sub-standard, then the 2nd replacement process will be paid entirely by NEC. Good to hear.

Also, despite the fact that my monitor ended up being defective, it's still the best monitor I've ever looked at. I don't have any long-term negative views of the company despite this experience.

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hi tzhu07. Thanks for the update and that's great news. Yep I heard NEC produces accurate colors and used by graphic designers and video editors. Hope to get NEC monitor for myself one day. :)