Experiences with refurbished iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PaulKemp, Feb 12, 2012.

1. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Im going to the states in about a month and I'm thinking of getting a refurbished iMac. The top 3.4 i7 one. The price difference is a real killer here, since a new one in a store here in Norway would cost about 2800$. The refirb one is 1869$. And I don't think they sell refurbished here. I would have to order this to my hotel room. But how often do you experience that there is something wrong with the refurbished ones? Taking it back would be a pain. The only real bummer is they there are no refurbished with an ssd. Has it ever been any with ssd? Or can I get lucky and maybe get one even though the page sais 1tb? Would be sweet. And, how long does shipping take when buying from the apple store? I may have to pay customs when I get to the border, that would add about 30% to the price.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It happens, but very infrequently. Apple Certified Refurbished Products are only available from the
    Apple Refurb Store. The inventory of models available can change from minute to minute. Use refurb.me to be notified when a model you want is available. If you have a problem with a refurb unit, you can ship it back to Apple.

3. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so it isn't unlikely that a ssd version will be available. Nice. The shipping back part could be difficult, but I'm guessing I'll be under apple warranty in Norway as well. Ok, what about the shipping times? How long does it normally take? About a week or less?

Thanks on the reform.me tip btw, great stuff! Is what I see there all the models? I don't see a ssd + 1tb disk option for example

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There was one available 4 days ago. Did you take the time to check out the refurb.me site, as suggested? When you order a refurb model, it ships very quickly... same or next day, usually. How long it takes to arrive depends on your location, shippers, volcanos, available watering holes for yaks or camels, etc.

5. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would wait next one will be here within 2 mths

6. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I saw it, thanks. I updated the third post to reflect that. :)

To bobright, thanks, but as I said in the first post. I'm in the states for one week, and that week is before a new one arrives. So no luck there. A top specced one is good for a couple of years anyway.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It only shows models and configurations that are available as refurbs, not all available configurations for new Macs. If you don't see the configuration you're interested in, you have to wait until one of that configuration is offered as a refurb.

8. Lehcim macrumors member

I will take the opportunity to ask something about reburb Macs:

Can they have any usage signs or do they look 100% new from outside?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the first link I posted, that explains the refurb process.

10. Lehcim macrumors member

I've already read it but it doesn't say much about esthetics, so I assume the products can have some scratches and usage marks...

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They can, but it's relatively rare and they would be minor.

12. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh ok, but there are some configurations that are not available, not even marked with a red dot. What about those? A SSB + 1 TB, or 2 TB for example. Or with 2GB on the Video Card. Will they show on the page or just be hidden inside the 'maxed out' option.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback! Refurb.me was a great tip!

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not every configuration becomes available as a refurb, or they may not show up for several months. If you have specific needs for a particular model, either buy new or be prepared to wait for a while until it becomes available as a refurb, if ever.

14. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks. I hoped i would get lucky and get some bonus hardware. Oh well.

15. bvanlieu macrumors member

You can hope you hit the lotto too. You likely won't.

The overwhelming majority of refurbs are pristine units you cannot tell apart from new.

I type this reply from a 2010 MBP. Refurb. 2010 27" iMac as my desk workstation. Refurb.

Previous gen Mini as HTPC/Server running 24/7 for the past 1.5 years. Refurb.

My strategy is take the savings on the refurb, buy more RAM and AppleCare aftermarket.

Only when Apple introduces a new model is the price decent IMHO. Market prices drop mid-cycle for components and Apple does not drop prices...that is where refurb kicks in.

- b

16. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

I totally agree. I wouldnt think twice about buying a refurb unit. If I end up getting the 27" 3.4 ghz model. The price compaired to a new here i Norway is like night and day. Nearly 40% off.

17. Casey55 macrumors newbie

Casey55

I've ordered several refurbished products from Apple including my first iMac a few years ago. All products looked new and have never had a problem with them.

18. Mac2012 macrumors regular

NOT A REFURB next iteration machine! It will take a few months of turnarounds to get some newer gen refubs in.