Experiences with small SSD + external?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dale Cooper, May 6, 2010.

1. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Hi all,
    I'm planning on buying a new 13" Macbook Pro this summer. After hearing a lot of stuff about how fantasic SSD drives are, I'm considering going for a SSD drive + firewire external. I'm a computer science student, so most of the stuff I do don't really rely on processing lots of data (unlike someone working with photo/video/audio would) - which I guess would be a nice match for an SSD?

However, even if I go for the largest SSD I can afford (128GB), I would have to use an external drive for my Aperture library and (most of) my music. So my questions are:
    - if anyone has a similar setup, how annoying do you find it not to have your pictures/music/video with you at all times? Do you often find yourself thinking "*€∞§€]≈[, I should have brought my external" (I guess some of this could be remedied by using MobileMe web galleries or leaving the drive connected to my Time Capsule with remote access enabled?)

- How much of a performance hit will I see in Aperture (or iMovie) working from a firewire 800 (7200 rpm) drive vs an internal drive (most likely 5400 rpm)?

Any advice or experiences would be very much appreciated!!!

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

3. Dale Cooper thread starter macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

No, if I put any music on it, it would only be a couple of GB of my newest purchases - the rest would be on the external.

4. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

I0 m on the same boat! I've a 2.26 MBP 13" and I want to replace the internal HDD with a 80 Gb SSD (Interl X25 M G2). I want to store in the internal drive only the system with app and my Aperture Libraray. Movie, Music and other stuff will be stored in external firewire 7200 rpm drive. It would be interesting to know the opinion of someone who has tried this approach

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck