Experiences with SSD in WD Passport/Lacie Rugged USB 3?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chfilm, Jun 14, 2014.

1. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Hi,

I have laying around both a wd my passport and a lacie rugged usb 3/ Fiwi 800 with each 500gb hdd.

I own a nMP with plenty of external thunderbolt raid storage but have to go on outside edit jobs from time to time and need a viable solution that let's me extend my internal 512 gb ssd.

Of course I'm looking at the lacie little big disk2 as the best of all options, but it's just too expensive right now for the occasional job.

Has anyone switched the hdd in one of the aforementioned models with an SSD (preferably samsung evo 840 series) and can tell me how much throughput they allow over usb 3?

If not, could someone maybe suggest another idea for my scenario?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I use the Inateck FEU3NS-1E enclosure ($18 on Amazon) as it does UASP. With my Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD I get read/write speeds over 400, basically the same speed as my internal SATA-base SSD.

In those other enclosures were designed only for slow spinning HDs, they could very well not support UASP. You definitely want an enclosure for a SSD that does UASP or you will only get speeds in the 200 range max. If you don't know for sure if those other enclosures do UASP, then I would order the Inateck enclosure.

3. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

Hey, that's a resourceful answer! Will order one, since I need an additional enclosure for the old drive anyway.

I got a crucial mx 100 512gb ssd now. Am really curious how it will perform...

I considered the samsung of course, but the crucial was just TOO cheap to say now to and I think I'll save the money for the lacie in the future.

4. Mike92 macrumors newbie

Sata II works

The LaCie enclosures with Thunderbolt and USB 3 will work with a SATA II (3 G) ssd - I have tried both an older Kingston 512 GB, and a SanDisk 480 GB drive. Obviously speed is not as great as SATA III, but the woork with no problem, and are certainly a lot faster than spinning drives.

5. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

Hm, well my Lacie enclosure has usb 3 and firewire 800... probably s-ata 2 as well?

Will give it a try once my shiny new crucial mx100 512gb arrives on tuesday and will report back! :)