Experiencing some oddities with Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMikeT, Feb 7, 2012.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'm currently on 10.7.2 and using Safari 5.1.2.

Just a few minutes ago, I opened up a new window in Safari and a download showed up. It was something small and showing as a PHP in the downloads folder, it's probably a cookie. It doesn't happen all the time but some sites are causing this to happen, even Apple's own site.

I've checked my preferences in Safari and it all looks the same. I don't think I inadvertently hit a command either.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. GGJstudios, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a cookie, as they don't show up in your Downloads folder. It's possibly a drive-by download.

For performance and security, make the following selections in Safari Preferences:
    • General > "New windows open with:" Empty Page
    • General > "New tabs open with:" Empty Page
    • General > Open "safe files after downloading (UNcheck this)
    • Security > Enable Java (UNcheck this)

Delete anything from the Downloads folder that you didn't intentionally download.

3. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. Though, I have all ready taken those security measures to ensure a safe(r) web browsing experience.

Question, does disabling Java disable Java systemwide or just within Safari? I ask because I have a Java applet from a trusted and secure site that I use daily.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can enable Java when on a trusted site that requires it, then disable it again when you leave that site. Most sites will work fine with Java disabled.

5. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I emptied out my downloads folder and the filename for the downloaded file is like.php. Furthermore, the subsequent times this happened, the filenames for those files were like-x.php ("x" standing for a number (1, 2, 3, etc.)).

This issue has stopped and I'm thinking that there was something buggy going on with some hosting service(s) and treating this file as a download rather than something that belonged on the web page.

I've never experienced anything like this but it doesn't have me too worried, I am on a Mac. I thought that it was very odd seeing this happen.