Experimental quantum device aims to reveal every possible future at once

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by FatherJack1980, Apr 9, 2019.

1. FatherJack1980 macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/experimental-quantum-device-every-possible-future

2. MasterControlOp Suspended

3. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

This is a lot of effort to spend on zeno’s paradox.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

I have issues taking care of the past and the present, let alone multiple futures...

5. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

I hate articles like this. Hand-wavy science and, naturally, a mention of the stupid cat thought experiment.

6. Irishman macrumors 68030

What exactly do you mean by "hand-wavy science "?

7. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

“Aims to see all possible futures” - this doesn’t mean anything and attaching quantum computing and stupid cat experiment doesn’t either.

#1 rule of quantum industry is the more references to double slit experiment or cat, the more skeptical you should be.

8. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Hah, on several memorable occasions when I had failed to prepare properly for at least one scheduled event in my future, I realized on the way to work in the train that all my many futures like the one immediately in front of me that day were going to be about failed efforts to make 2 and 2 not add up to 4, for so long as I persisted in thinking I could wing my way through anything.

I kinda lost interest in seeing any multiple-future alternatives to that after proving out my epiphanic theory a few more times. But I admit I took a shortcut after that by just assuming 2 and 2 add up to 4. I have never liked that number 4 either, but it's a sturdy little critter. The way to avoid getting in its path was pretty predictable: don't leave prep for the day ahead to the last minute.

9. pratikindia macrumors 6502

pratikindia