Experimental surround sound advice needed

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Corneillious, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Corneillious macrumors newbie

I've just got a firewave external soundcard for my mac, which lets it output in 5.1. Now, I was thinking about setting myself another two of these and linking them up so I could theoretically have a 15.3 system (not sure why I'd need three subs, but then again I'm talking about having 15 speakers so I'll roll with it).

I'm guessing none of the programs I'm using that support 5.1 would support anything over 7.1 (Final Cut, Soundtrack Pro). So, first question: is there anything that would? And if so, would it only treat the speakers as if they were all flat on the floor, and not being able to add a third dimension to them? I'm really liking how Soundtrack lets you drag a sound around the virtual space.

I'm guessing that a bit far fetched, but I thought I might as well check. If not, can I just make three separate (5.1) audio tracks, and play them each through a different firewave card, all from the same mac all at the same time? So each one would be 5.1, which I know it can handle, but is there a way to make my mac output to more than one sound output at a time? Basically just using my mac as a hub to play the sound from, all the editing would have been done and dusted already.

Would anyone have any idea?

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

To be perfectly honest, this all sounds very silly.

3. hakukani macrumors regular

What? 15 is twice as good as 7.1. Actually, it would be 14.2....:D