Expert on OS 9.2.1 & Panther required .... Apply within.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Nov 21, 2008.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    After doing a lot of reading and taking advice, I finally bit the bullet and decided that maybe Panther is better than Tiger for this old Pismo. So, having all the system disks I needed I started the lappy from the 9.2 disk and trashed the hard drive. I then installed OS 9.2 and all the updates to make it 9.2.1. When that was all done I installed OS 10.3 and all the updates making it OS 10.3.9.
    As you can tell by the fact that I'm using it for this post, it all works OK.
    Here's the thing. Could some kind soul walk me through what I need to do to get an icon on my desktop that, when double-clicked, will take me to a 9.2.1 environment so that I can play my classic games like SimCity 3000, Unreal and Prime Target.
    I know there must be a way to do it but, being a McDummy, I can't figure it out.
    Thanks guys,
    Steve

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I think . . .
    if you just leave one of the game icons on the desktop, that'll do it. Click the icon, go to Classic.
    . . . I think.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just put the apps themselves on the desktop (or the dock or wherever). Classic will launch automatically when you launch an app that requires it.

4. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

OK guys, Thanks for the replies.
    I'm still trying to find and download versions of progs that work with Panther. You have no idea, unless you have tried it yourself, how difficult it is to find older stuff. Even a later version of Safari than the base version was impossible to find but then I found this version of Firefox so maybe Safari's loss is my gain, lol.
    I'll set up the games later and let you know for sure if your idea worked.
    Take care,
    Steve

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Has anyone heard of Aliases??? Just put an Alias of the program you want on the desktop. Don't put the actual App on the desktop, that's so messy.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Duh, right, right, that's what I mean. :rolleyes:

7. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

Ah well, back to the drawing board.
    Not the games thing, I never actually got round to trying that idea out.
    The problem was with the whole idea of reverting back to Panther.
    I found that when I tried to update Safari or Firefox, Safari wouldn't play at all and Firefox, although I downloaded and installed a version that worked with Panther, completely disappeared off my laptop when I restarted it.
    So now I have gone back to Tiger and I WILL test those game ideas when I get the chance.