Expert opinion required: can't resolve dim screen issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Synchromesh, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I need some expert advice here. I bought a white Core Duo 2GHz Macbook with a dim screen. You know the drill: you can see everything on screen but it's very dim.

Usually a dim screen points to either inverter or LCD backlight. I tested it with another inverter, no luck. The only extra LCDs in my possession are broken/cracked ones and I have no idea if they work, and I have no extra Macbook board so I can test this current screen. It works perfectly fine with external screen.

So I came to the conclusion that it's either the small cable that goes from logic board into inverter or logic board. The seller insists that GMA 950 videocards had this issue. I googled for a while and I can't find anything on this. Does anybody know if the seller is correct and where I can locate such info?

2. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

I worked on one of these in the past for this issue. Actually you should describe it as the backlight is not working, not that it is dim. As for the one I worked on, it turned out to be the cable from the board to the inverter. The way I knew this is when you opened the lid the backlight would come on but as you opened it more it would turn off. After checking into it I played around with the cable and it proved that it was a short. The cable makes a 90 deg turn towards the inverter and that is where the short was. The cable is super cheap so it is worth a shot to just buy one and test it out.