Experts in audio, I have a question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacProFreak, May 6, 2016.

1. MacProFreak macrumors regular

I'm a recording/mixing engineer.

I had a 17" MacBook Pro mid 2009 that had what I call a somewhat "transparent" audio coming from its built in speakers.

Now I have this Mid 2015 retina 15" inch, and I can definitely tell there is an "always on" peak volume control, like if it was an audio compressor that is limiting the volume variations. And the speakers seem to reproduce the sound not exactly as it was recorded, putting much emphasis in higher frequencies, coloring the sound.

My question for the experts in core audio here is if there is any kind of software 'flag' inside any of those .h files that is compressing the sound. Or if this is something related to the speakers or even other audio related hardware. I think it's all software, because the same problem happens when I use my in-ear monitors connected to the mac.

My God apple has been dropping the ball with the professional community in ways that would make Steve Jobs roll over in his grave....

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

How about plugging in a DAC/amp? Then you can control the levels externally.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Be aware that there is a digital audio sub-forum here at MacRumors where your question could be posted.

Also -- have you tried posting at gearslutz.com ? That's where the audio guys hang out!

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Laptop speakers aren't exactly of much use if you're looking for good sound reproduction. They generally suck, MBP's included.

CoreAudio is CoreAudio, it hasn't changed, and if both computers are running the same version of OS X, the firmware/software is the same.

Could be the internal soundcard's DAC used to be better back then and that's what you're hearing, but it's definitely not software.