Experts: In need of "Email Machine"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by entatlrg, Mar 23, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

With my work I receive and reply to 100 emails a day some days.

How I stay on top of it is checking mail often, replying right away and most importantly I have some kind of electronic device with me so I can keep up.

From iPhones, to Blackberry's, MBP's and MBA's and now the iPad on the horizon there's lot of options. It get's tiring typing so much on an iPhone ... bigger laptops are cumbersome to pull out anywhere....

If you where handing 100 emails a day, what device(s) would you use, from a Windows Netbook, iPhone, MBA/MBP, Blackberry etc.

Or to say it another way, "what's the ultimate/best device for handling email anywhere".

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Obviously you are looking for a higher degree of comfort, and unfortunately it can't be found in a netbook. You are looking for a featherweight laptop with a full keyboard, long battery life, and lots of connectivity options. There are many of these available, it is just a matter of deciding on one appropriate for your budget.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You made good points thanks.

Budget isn't a concern. Ease of use, good user experience, fun to work on is important.

Any brand/model suggestions? What screen size would you be using?

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

well blackberry seems to be what's popular amongst professionals with email as their main concern. plus then now have a mac desktop software to sync your songs so that's cool.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

Honestly I think you need a good combination of outlook, exchange, and a portable device. Are you traveling a lot, or taking email home a lot? If yes, you need a good pc laptop with Outlook. I can't see see any other email program that can handle huge amounts of email, calendaring, contacts, tasks, and notes easily. I would recommend a 15" screen for the extra resolution. Go for something such as 1680 x 1050. When you are not traveling, leave the laptop on at work and use teamviewer on a pc, mac, or iphone to remotely connect to the laptop to use outlook.

If for some reason you don't travel or don't need a laptop, buy the fastest desktop you can afford and use a fast laptop to connect via teamviewer.

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Honestly, if I was in your situation, I would use a Netbook + iPhone/Blackberry combination. The Netbook should be able to handle all the emails and the Phone is for a backup if the netbook suddenly doesn't work or runs out of battery or whatnot.

7. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Do you think it is necessary to have "lots of connectivity options" if the user is just wanting to email? By connectivity options I assume you mean ports like USB etc.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Blackberry + 11" netbook (or better). Speed doesn't really matter, but I suppose there are 11" laptop options out there that would be great for you.

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Sounds perfect for a MacBook air. As long as cost isn't an issue. iPad i cant comment on because im not sure how good the onscreen keyboard will be, and if you would need to use the keyboard accessory or not

10. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I'd say a netbook is out straightaway. Because most of my clients are far, far away from our offices, I often need to travel while remaining connected, and I thought that an iPhone + netbook would save me the hassle of hauling my MBP everywhere. It didn't. The keyboard was awful, the screen was mediocre at best, and the ergonomics of the tiny laptop model caused no end of discomfort. I had to return the netbook.

A laptop isn't a great option, either, since it is cumbersome to use on the go, and when I am forced to fly economy or on a regional jet, I can't use it at all. Again, the ergonomics of a laptop away from a desk leave quite a bit to be desired.

I'm hoping that the iPad works out for exactly this reason. You can use it anywhere without weird balance issues or lack of space, you don't have to be hunched over a tiny keyboard or position yourself awkwardly to use the keyboard when there's no desk or table around. The iPad and the Bluetooth keyboard together occupy no more space than a netbook--and you can use the on-screen keyboard when it's impractical to sit down. A slate-style tablet should fit the bill exactly, combined with your email-enabled phone of choice to get instant updates and send quick replies while your tablet sits a bag or briefcase.

Unfortunately in my case, it won't replace an actual computer when I need to do any drafting or pleading, given the limitations of Pages, but just for email and document review, it's worth it for me. If the iPad isn't your cup of tea, there are surely some decent Android alternatives coming out eventually, and maybe the HP will amount to something, too.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    This I'm not so sure about. If you want to be able to use email in as many places as possible, a laptop isn't really ideal. A notebook is portable, but still meant for use on a table. It can be used on a bed or in a chair, but awkwardly. I'd almost prefer the slow-typing madness of the iPhone to being hunched over a laptop in bed or trying to use one as a car passenger.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get a Blackberry to supplement whatever machine you're already using.

12. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Seems like a Crackberry & MacBook Air combo might be a good solution.

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I am in a similar situation to the OP with multiple e-mail's daily, with multiple accounts as well. I have had an iPhone and MBA since launch; and I like the combo.

However, I hate the iPhones mail integration. It is a PITA to maneuver through with it's back and forth non integrated inbox (and it's non-integrated folder exchange's). Another problem with the iPhone is that you are limited to 1 exchange server connection, so if you have more than 1 server, you need to pray they allow an IMAP tunnel for you. (Jailbreaking I know is an option-but that is another thread)

Don't get me wrong, I love both devices; however I use mail most (as I am sure we all do in the working class) and I really hate it more and more as time wears on.

Lastly, my MBA 1.8 128SSD, I love- but if you need battery life longer than 3 hours while traveling, plan on adding a backup power plan, or pass on it. The life on a charge with the MBA is worst in it's class- but the machine as a whole IMO is best in class- I love it. I use it for my everyday work computer as well as my travel. Either way, your decision IMO should not be made to buy anything for at least 30 days for reasons self evident.

Hope this helps.

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

How about a combination of 13" macbook pro, an ipad 3g, and smartphone. The macbook will get you great battery life and will be used the most. The ipad and smartphone will be used for quick emails when you don't have wifi or ethernet access. The macbook and ipad are small enough that both will fit in a briefcase or laptop case. Both the ipad and smartphone will pretty much have internet wherever you go, and both have exchange support and will bcc your sent mail so you can still see what you sent from the macbook.

15. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I'm currently using a white macbook and an iPhone. I usually get somewhere between 80-200 emails per hour (depending on the time of the day, after filtering out junk, and replying to only 1/5 of them). I use my iPhone only when I have to/should reply immediately. I like how the iPhone displays email - but composing one is irritating. I'll be replacing it with a blackberry in September.

I'd have to recommend a blackberry + a 13" laptop (for comfort and portability).

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would go for a Blackberry as the best email device. Seeing that your profile says Waterloo… isn't getting a Blackberry required :D

I would combine that with a MacBook Air for the best overall experience.

17. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Depending on how your work email is setup a blackberry may not be the ideal device. If you are going to be managing your email from multiple locations you need to be sure that the read/unread status is properly synced between devices. Blackberry can not do this for some mail accounts, and for others requires BES.

In general I think the iPhone you already have would work very well with a Macbook Air and an Exchange or IMAP email account.

The iPhone works very well when you are viewing mail in a single email account and will work fine for replies or lookups in a pinch. The Macbook Air gives a full size keyboard and trackpad along with a usable sized screen in the smallest and most portable package available with decent battery life.

They are available at significant discounts in the US refurb store on Apple.com, hopefully Apple.ca has something similar.

18. canes960 macrumors 6502

I honestly think the iPad will be good for you. Just buy a external keyboard.

19. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'd have to agree. It'll be a device which'll be more comfortable and quicker to type on than a smartphone, plus it'll be running an incredible email client.

20. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Yes, I agree, and can't wait to try the iPad. I'm not totally sold on the idea yet, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Right now I'm using a combination of 13" MBP, iPhone and BB 9700.

At the moment I'm near the Blue Mountains on Georgian Bay in Ontario .... looking for a new home/property ... we're driving around looking at listings for sale ... here's where the 3G iPad would excel ...

the ideal device for driving around while looking online at the multi listing service website ... I'm using the iPhone right now ... kinda small screen... could be using the wife's MBA tethered to the iPhone but haven't grabbed it from the backpack yet to use in the car .... whereas the iPad would be too convenient not to use !

21. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Anyone else receiving a lot of emails daily?

What devices are you using to manage them?

22. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

IMO you should buy the MBA and a mobile phone with tethering so you can connect your MBA to your phone.

23. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks. Since I started the thread I've been using my 13" MBP quite a bit. I like the Air a lot but a little underpowered/slow compared to my MBP and the battery life is half as good.

I'll jump on the new Air if there's ever an update.

How do you all manage your work and stay on top of things?

24. sbb155 macrumors 6502

You need a blackberry. I love my iphone. Superior to the BB in every way EXCEPT email.
    You need a windows small 11" PC with outlook and windows XP. Look at sony. As good as the mac email clients are, outlook is the reference standard for corporate email, and particularly helpful since there will be attachments. Forget win 7 or vista, most corporations work on XP still

Hate to say it, but the mac is great for all else. But strictly email? I would do BB and small win notebook. You will find that the BB handles just about all you need.

For all else, a 15" MBP and an iphone are great.