Experts - Using iPad 3G in Canada before Rogers launch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by entatlrg, Apr 27, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I'm in Canada and will have my iPad 3G next week.

The question is how to activate it when Rogers hasn't announced any iPad data plans yet.

Is it correct that I can take the SIM card from my Rogers 3G Rocket Internet stick, trim it down into the size of a micro sim card, insert in my iPad and it will work?

2. nasa25 macrumors 65816

In theory yes. In reality who knows.

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Hopefully it will work.

Otherwise I'll try and get a 'North America' data plan from AT&T in the States, probably be cheaper than Rogers :)

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I am incredibly interested in just the opposite, buying a Rogers 3G iPad and putting a ATT Microsim for my US trips. Can i just buy one, pop it in and register...or do I have to setup some account and pay for data another way..

5. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I agree with Nasa25 - in theory. In theory communism works. In theory.

Micro-sims are backward compatible; however, they also have more advanced protocols which the iPad might employ and thus not be compatible with a standard mini sim. I am going to wait for a few Canadians to post their results, then go get one.

6. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

iPad in Canada

I just bought my iPad 3g 32GB in New York last night, I activated at the Apple store and purchased a 250 MB AT&T data plan. I have already used 150 MB on apps and browsing. So far, I'm very impressed. I am going back home tomorrow and will use it with wifi only until Apple releases the iPad in Canada.

Question: What experience has anyone had with using any iPad in Canada?
    Any problems synching with iTunes Canadian account, and with existing iPhone apps? Reason I'm asking is if I can't sync to my Canadian account, I will download and purchase apps that I'll be using for the next month now, while I'm here in the States.

Thanks

7. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Most apps are available in the Canadian app store. Although, you can only access the us app store directly from iPad. Here is what you do:

For bookstore, iWork suite, etc you will need to use the us store. Create a us account and login to iTunes (ON YOUR IPAD) with your us account. Then close iTunes and open the app store. Use either us apple gift cards or prepaid vanilla master card to purchase through the us app store. You cannot use your cdn iTunes account directly on your ipad yet. The app store will error out.

For most other apps, you can use your cdn iTunes account. However you will have to search for "iPad" on iTunes VIA YOUR COMPUTER" and then download the apps onto your computer and then sync to your iPad.

In summary :

Us only apps - download via ipad and sync to computer
    Apps available in cdn store - download via computer and sync to iPad.

I got my wifi 64gb on the April 3rd launch in buffalo and this is what I have been doing, successfully.

8. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Thanks for the info, I figured it would work some how. I was worried about accessing the us app store through iTunes in Canada. I have done it with my iPhone, but wondered if it is possible with the iPad since it hasn't been released yet.

9. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Any Canadians with 3G iPads yet who's trimmed up their Rogers SIM cards to fit ?

Mine's on the way, I'm going to give it a try, will post back how I make out.

10. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

I was thinking about this exactly also.

I plan on getting a 3G iPad 'late May', but I am going to the US for a couple weeks in July, going to see if I can pop in an AT&T micro sim and just purchase data directly from the iPad.

Did Jobs not say the iPad was going to be unlocked? That would help, my worry is more the process of activating the iPad.

11. R2K macrumors newbie

I know this thread is about Rogers wireless but just wanted people reading this thread that the iPad is able to connect to the telus network. Just need to cut up the sim and put in the correct apn settings.