Expired .Mac account question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moshiiii, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

I was using the free .Mac trial and it expired. Is there anyway I can look at my old email? I have something important in there.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

From what I've been told, once your account expires, all of your data is removed from their servers.

Did you have Mail.app setup with .Mac? If so, the email may be cached on your computer (and viewable in Mail.app).

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Nope. It's gone.

From Apple's .mac help section:

Data Preservation

Q: If my .Mac account expires, what happens to my data?

If you have a full or trial .Mac account or a Family Pack sub-account, all webpages, files on your iDisk, messages left on the .Mac Mail server, online Address Book contact information, and .Mac Bookmarks will be removed. Emails sent to your .Mac address will bounce back to the sender. If you own any .Mac Groups, group pages will no longer be accessible or visible to group members, and messages sent to the group email address will bounce back to the sender.

4. quest4apple macrumors member

With a paid account, Apple does delete everything, but they give you a 30 day grace period. During that time, you are not able to access your data, but it is still there in case you renew.

I do not know about the trial version, but they may handle it the same way. I don't know how important the information in your account was, but it may be worth buying the subscription to find out.

Incidentally, you can buy .Mac online at places like Amazon at prices that are usually significantly cheaper than Apple offers through their other stores. The Amazon boxes can also be used to renew existing accounts.

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Excellent point! I'm an Amazon junkie, but never thought of looking there for .Mac. Thanks!