Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dammitjanet@gma

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I had .mac a long time ago, and its expired. I never upgraded to mobileMe either and my My AppleId is my .mac email address and always has been.

Accessing iCloud via Web Browser has the correct emaill address, a .me address and I can send and receive email to the address.

However when setting up iCloud on iOS5 it's trying to use my original @mac.com address and failing and there does not appear to be any way to change it on the iPhone.

I checked my AplleDi acct and saw that there were three email addresses, my main email address, the expired .mac address, and the new .me address.

I removed the .mac address but still can't get my iPhone to use the proper email address.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I know people can transition old, expired .Me accounts over to iCloud, but I don't know about .Mac accounts that were expired. Did you try logging into iCloud on your phone with your expired mac account name @me.com ?

dammitjanet@gma

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
matthew

yes I can, its an issue with how iCloud integration has set up on the iPhone, not an issue with iCloud itself.

Accessing iCloud via Web Browser has the correct emaill address, a .me address and I can send and receive email to the address.

alaskanjackal

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
Having the exact same problem. Didn't find this thread earlier, so I posted a longer explanation of my problem (which I now see is exactly the same as yours), in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1249125/

If I do end up springing for an iPhone 4S, I will call iCloud Support and post the resolution here, but if I don't, then there appears to be no way to contact Apple without paying for a support incident. Do me a favor and do the same if you qualify for a free support call. :)

I know people can transition old, expired .Me accounts over to iCloud, but I don't know about .Mac accounts that were expired. Did you try logging into iCloud on your phone with your expired mac account name @me.com ?

Apple publicly supports transitioning an expired .Mac address to iCloud:

I have an expired MobileMe or .Mac account. How do I sign up for iCloud?

To use your expired account for iCloud, follow the iCloud setup instructions and enter your expired MobileMe or .Mac email address as your Apple ID. If you have an @me.com address, it will be reactivated for email when you sign up for iCloud. @mac.com addresses will not be reactivated for email, but you can set up a new @me.com email address.

Important: You will need a verified email address associated with your expired @me.com or @mac.com Apple ID to set up iCloud. To add a verified email address, go to appleid.apple.com, sign in with your expired @me.com or @mac.com email address, and add a valid email address to your account.

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4436

Unfortunately, that support seems to incur the wrath of this bug...

alaskanjackal

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
After a few more minutes of messing around with it, I think I solved it.

Delete your iCloud account from your iPhone. Then re-add it, but rather than using your @mac.com Apple ID, use your newly-created @me.com address.

The iCloud account will still show up as your old @mac.com address (which freaked me out at first), but if you tap the "Account" field and then the "Mail" field, you'll see your new @me.com address displayed in the email address field (grayed out and unmodifiable, but that's now OK! :D).

And I was even able to successfully re-enable iCloud Backup...after a few tries and an arduous wait...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.