Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Well I bought my car last year at the end up April/beginning of May, when I bought it it was technically used because someone purchased it, and took it back because they couldn't drive stick, it only had 80 miles on the odometer.

Anyways, when I got the plates I got March tags with it, so right now I have March 08 tags, but my registration says middle of June :confused:. I tried to go onto the California DMV website and pay it but it said I needed some code from a letter that I should have got from the DMV telling me its time to pay for new registration, but I haven't got that in the mail.

So could I get a ticket for driving with expired tags??

mac88

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA.
Whatever the DMV states that your registration expires is the one to go by. Keep all your information pertaining to the issue with you so if you get stopped you can present this info to the officer. Also, you can go to your local Police Department, bring your info. with you and your license, and inquire if they (Police) could "run" your registration through their RMV/CJIS terminal and see if your registration is truly expired. If the info. returned to them states that your registration is active/expired, this is the same info. that any officer operating a MDT in their cruiser will get. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.