Explain: Active v. Resting Calories in workout

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by sdallnct2, May 24, 2015.

1. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

Can someone explain or link to an Apple site that explains the Active v. Resting Calories during a workout?

Today I did a typical non-run workout for me. I used "Other" in the Apple Apps Work for the entire time. I have done this workout many a times and several in the last thee weeks w/having my AW.

-5 min stretching including some dynamic stretching
    -4 min walking on a treadmill, building from 2.5 mph to 4.0
    -22 min walking on treadmill at 4.0 w/hills (raising 0.5 every minute ending in 10.0 last minute)
    -25 minutes weight (cable lat-pulls, Roman Dead Lift, sitting curls, knee assisted dumbbell rows)

Just under an hour total time. Apple Watch gave me,

349 "Active Calories"
    99 "Resting Calories"

Total 448.

Based on past experience and such, the active calories is likely a bit low (but within reason) and total calories a bit high (but within reason).

Where is it getting the resting calories? Is this when my HR drops below a certain point? Is this when I'm perfectly still like resting my 30 seconds between sets?

For my calories burned for my workout, should I consider only the active or the total? I'm trying to keep a calorie deficit diet to lose weight.

Thanks

2. Julien, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Resting calories is you caloric base burn rate aka: basal metabolic rate (BMR). These are the calories your body burns just to live. Active calories are the calories burned because of the added activity. Almost all apps/devices just combine the 2 since you can't have the latter without the former.

Your BMR is calculated by your metrics (weight, hight, sex and age).

Also a little pet peeve: You don't want to (just) lose weight, you want to reduce body fat.;)

3. sdallnct2 thread starter macrumors regular

So I that hour workout it is saying I burned 99 calories that I would have burned anyway? Ok, based on my age and current weight, sex 2400 calories in a day seems within reason.

And that explains why it pushes only the active calories to my tracker. Cool.

And yes, but currently I want to lose weight. As I'm sure you realize when you lose weight you lose fat and muscle. Though, hopefully with my weight lifting I'll minimize muscle loss. I exercise enough (cardio and weights) that I'm currently not worried about health as wanting be smaller. Yes, of course would like most of that to be fat loss, but very difficult to target.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As long as you are weight training (before doing cardio) and proper diet you can lose body fat while maintaining or increasing muscle mass.

Food for thought:

1lb of fat has a BMR of about <2kcal per 24 hours

1lb of skeletal muscle has a BMR of about 10kcal to 50kcal per 24 hours

Add 1lb of muscle and burn an extra 300kcal to 1500kcal per month doing the same workouts.

5. sdallnct2 thread starter macrumors regular

Your in the "weights before cardio" camp? I do need to switch it up. I now only run 4 days a week and walk (brisk pace w/hills on a treadmill) on non-run days. Need to try the weights before that walk.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, weights before cardio for 2 main reasons:

1) You body uses the glycogen stores first. So start with weights and burn sugar, then when you move to cardio you will burn more fat. ;)

2) Your muscles can lose up to 20% of their absolute strength after they are over stretched and engorged with blood (after cardio).

7. sdallnct2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!! I'll try it....I use to run every day and running was more important to me, so I ran than did weights (knowing my lifting was likely suffering).

I've moved to running only 4 days a week which has really helped my running. But I didn't make the switch from weighs first on those non-run days...need too....

Now, about that nutrition plan :D