Explain Back To School Deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Prabz26, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

I know it's way too early to bring up the Apple "Back to School Deal." but I was just wondering because I'm interested in getting a MacBook Pro for University.

Is the deal just buying a Mac and receiving a free iPod or is the iPod at a less price or is their a rebate process?

Any help appreciated :)

2. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I bought my 13" MBP with the back to school promotion, last year. You pay for the iPod up front and Apple sends a rebate. You can do the rebate online, however. This speeds up the process, I think mine came in a week.

Habitus :apple:

3. Prabz26 thread starter macrumors regular

Prabz26

oh okay then cool.
    can you buy the mac at the apple store and the ipod and juss fill the rebate out online?

and secondly can you do the back to school
    and still get a printer with a $100 rebate
    because if you get a printer under a $100 its free

like online when your buying you get this option
    [​IMG]

so could u get a macbook and an ipod (rebate it and get it free)
    and a printer (rebate it and get it free) ?

4. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Can't recall the answer to the first question, but to the second: yes, you can get the iPod and printer deals at the same time.

I got my first Mac that way (an Al PGB4 in 2003), getting rebates on both an iPod ($200 at the time) and a printer ($100). They were advertising it at the time as "up to $300 off if you get a Mac/iPod/printer together", they clearly want you to take both discounts.

They're fairly strict about all the bits having to be on the same receipt, so you can't, say, buy the Mac in-store and then order an iPod later.

With my second Mac, a unibody MBP in Nov 2008, I got $100 off a nice $150 Canon MP620 printer, but had missed the window for getting a free iPod (my PowerBook chose an inconvenient time to die).

They generally run the iPod deal during during the summer (ending in mid September), and the next revision of laptops will always get announced a few weeks after the iPod deal ends (yeah, it helps them clear inventory). The printer deals seem to be offered much more frequently, and runs for longer periods of time.

It's worth poking around Apple's online store, clicking on the various ad-like banners, to make sure you know precisely what all the deals available to you are, before walking into an Apple Store (e.g. when I asked about the printers in-store, they showed me a variety of rebatable HP's; when I asked about the Canon I'd seen online, they had no problem selling me that instead).

I'm sure you already know this, but whether online or at a real Apple Store, be sure you point out you're a student to get all the "normal" academic discounts, in addition to the special rebate deals (alternatively, our university bookstore sells Macs already at the academic prices; I presume others do too).

5. kshat28 macrumors member

Yes, you can do both the iPod and the printer rebate and get both for free.

6. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I don't mean to hijack the thread in any way, but I have a question I think would fit in here.

If I walk into an Apple Store and ask for a student discount, what sort of proof-- if any-- do I need to show them to prove that I'm a student? I know that I don't need proof on the online store, but I presume it would be different in one of the retail stores?

7. Ralzy macrumors member

They may or may not ask for proof but if they do it would be a student id.

8. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Can anybody confirm whether or not they ask?

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They do ask. I bought several Macs in the Apple Store during the time I was a student and they asked every time.

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

My brother had to email in a scan of his student card so the online store does occasionally ask for proof.

In store (UK) I think they want a valid student card or a UCAS/university letter confirming that you have a place.

11. Prabz26 thread starter macrumors regular

Prabz26

Hey CarlJ
    thanks a lot for your reply definetley cleared up all my questions
    :)

12. RCGMac macrumors regular

In the US, I was asked for my student ID when I bought in the Brick and Mortar store. I have also heard of cases where the Apple will randomly audit online purchases that claim the student discount and ask for proof. Take the discount if your eligible for it, otherwise don't risk it. :)