Explain iOS5 iCloud implementation to me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Ive been enjoying iOS5 for some time now but Im still not completely clear on some of the aspects of iCloud. In Settings > iCloud you have the on/off sliders for mail, Contacts, Calendars, etc. If these are switched to 'on' *when* does it sync to iCloud to make the nessessary updates? For example if I have Contacts set to on, I add a contact to my iPhone, does it update iCloud with that straight away?

The reason I ask is that in Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > there is an on/off slider for 'iCloud backup'. At first I thought that if this was set to off it would never backup to iCloud full stop. However I suspect that this slider is only for having the phone do an automated backup when its locked and charging?

To turn off iCloud backup completely would I have to have 'iCloud Backup' switched off and also all the individual sliders for Mail, contacts, etc?

The reason I want to turn it off completely is because I also like to sync with iTunes and it causes duplicate contacts etc.

Thanks for any advice :)

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

"iCloud backup" is only the following

Photos and video in the Camera Roll
    Device settings
    App data
    Home screen and app organization
    Text and MMS messages
    Ringtones

Everything else is handled in the iCloud menu such as contacts/calendars etc. They sync default by Push which means instantly, you can change this to 15/30/60 min as well.

The "iCloud backup" occurs automatically when

A) Phone is plugged in and
    B) Connected to Wifi

You cannot do an iCloud backup on 3G, however the Calendar/Contacts/Mail etc will do 3G.

3. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Hi thanks for the clarification, can you tell me where the above setting is?

Also if they sync by push instantly, and lets say you are not currently connected to a fast data service such as wi-fi (or even 3G for that matter just a regular cellular signal), could more intensive settings such as 'Photostream' and 'Documents & Data' cause battery drain as it tries to sync these changes to iCloud?

The reason I ask is because 'Photostream' would need to upload a picture you have just taken to iCloud so that it can sync it with your other iDevices.

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Photo Stream is WiFi only. Documents and Data has a 3G option for on or off syncing.

Settings-Mail,Contacts,Calendars-Fetch New Data

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Photo Stream is wifi only. It's in the keynote. Jobs explains this stuff pretty well if you care to watch it.

6. Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Hi

Thanks for clearing that up. I watch all the keynotes as they happen but havent had the chance to go back and re-watch it. Appreciate the info :)

7. Sir Ruben, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

Sir Ruben thread starter macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

based on your experience with iCloud so far are you guys planning on using this as your primary way to keep your devices up to date, rather than the old way of connecting and syncing with iTunes on your mac/PC?