Explain these speedtest results please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glocke12, Jul 5, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I am able to make my signal strength bars go away by holding my iphone in what is (to me), a very, very unnatural position to hold a phone in.

I did this yesterday, and and performed a bandwidth test to see what my speeds were.

left pic is holding the phone in the "grip of death", right pic is holding it normally and testing when my bars reappear. Results are obvious. Whats going on?

Attached Files:

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

MUCH better ping on grip of death lol to me it proves what the RF experts are saying. How many bars you have, no longer reflects your call quality and data.

That was on analog where number of bars mattered. They mean nothing now and are only there to pacify the end user.

With digital, your either connected or not. You can either make a phone call, or you can't.

3. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

The speedtest app is crap you will get different results every time

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

5. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

do u have a suggestion for an alternate?

6. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Yes is there a better one?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nah they are all pretty much the same, the networks will always have different amounts of server load from other users - so you can never get a constant result :(

8. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I'm not sure if the app itself is crap, but I do get different results every time. I just tested three times in a row (with EDGE), and my results were 96/80, 19/25 and 118/21. Speed is really dependent on the variations in the network signal.