Explain this to me like I am a 4yr old

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by curmudgen, Jul 5, 2010.

1. curmudgen macrumors member

Ok I am admittedly computer illiterate. I have a curiosity question only.

I back up my phone as part of the regular sync process daily and it takes no time at all, very quick. Well I just now downloaded the 4.0 update software to install on my phone.

Download was quick and painless. Then the backup window came on, and wow its soo slow I cannot believe it. This to me is quirky as the backups I do daily are much much faster.

So can some computer person out there explain to me why this particular back up looks like it is going to take up to an hour or more?

Hopefully this is a break from "oh my iphone doesnt work" etc etc.

2. swoods93631 macrumors regular

full backup versus incremental backup

3. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's backing up your whole iPhone, since you just installed a major update. Future updates will take a much shorter amount of time since they're only backing up what's changed.

There you go, Mr. Four Year Old. :)

4. j2004p macrumors member

He did say 'like a 4 year old' :rolleyes:

What swoods means, is that generally iTunes will only backup the changes that have occurred on your iDevice since the last sync/backup during normal syncing, this is an incremental backup.

However when doing an iOS update the system needs to do a full backup to make sure that the backup is a complete/uncorrupt snapshot of the iDevice before it gets the new OS just in case it needs to load the full backup if something goes wrong.

Hope this explains it.

5. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Don't you worry, my little curmudgen! Everything will be okay.

Sumtimes things take time. Let yer talkie ifone do the backup as it is and you will grow up to be big and strong. So hang tight, and if you're good you can hav a lollie when it's done!

*hug*

6. draz macrumors 6502a

rofl that is amazing

7. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

iOS 4?! You've been a bad boy! Now, go to your room and tell your mum that she can come back from the naughty-step! You know, your mum has been a VERY bad girl!

8. detroit1 macrumors regular

9. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

LOL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Michael Scott say what you're thread is titled in an episode?

If not, I apologize.

10. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Here is how I would explain it to a 4 year old.

"Why? Because I said so."

There, that should answer the title of your thread. The question is irrelevant, because after you get through all of the questions a 4 year old asks, the last answer you get to usually is "Because I said so".

If you want more help, you might want to make your title a little more descriptive or to the point of your question, so you have better luck at actually finding someone who can help you with your problem.