Explain to me iPad Magazine/Newspaper options

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by beatledud, Mar 21, 2012.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

So we have Newstand. Except when I click store I can't search. So I go to the app store and select newsstand filter. NYTimes goes to newsstand but Marvel is its own app. No ESPN Mag but that's a different app not under newsstand and all the issues appear free (it's also terrible to navigate). Zinio has Dwell and many others I'm looking for but that's another sub app to browse. It also has ESPN but I have to pay for and I already have a online and physical copy subscription. Frankly this is exhausting to understand. Anyone able to clear thismupmfor me?

2. knux11 macrumors regular

+1.

i'm starting to notice that apple designs awesome hardware, and good software, but inconsistencies like this are consistently all over their software, iOS in particular.

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Yeah, basically Newsstand is a half-baked piece of crap.

4. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks but this doesn't explain to me what the deal is with all the apps and the best way to work it.

5. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I use Newsstand for the magazines I currently get a paper edition for.

I know seems odd, but i can skim either one and get the added digital bonuses on them. It seems odd to me when you "open" newsstand which is a glorified folder and then "open" each magazine.
    I don't think Newstand itself really needs to be "background running" I prefer to have less apps open if I can.

I wish you could get a few free samples of magazines. Some are Really good and some suck. Wired isn't great (seems like more of a slightly interactive PDF) but Parents and Martha Stewart that I've seen are good.

6. gpsouza macrumors 6502

gpsouza

But what really bothers me is that we can't remove or put this s*** into a folder!

7. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

You search in the app store. Whatever appear like magazine (has magazine cover) is Newsstand compatible. Most of them are free but you need to pay for issue or subscription. Right now it has over 2000 magazines for you to choose. Chill.

8. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Newsstand issues don't appear to be new iPad ready yet. Zinio updated though.

9. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

Chill? I ask cause things that say newsstand but act as independent apps. And wanted to know how people get magazines and the best route since there's third party newsstand apps which duplicate some stand alone apps and it doesn't appear you can enter current subscriptions.

10. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Yeah I hate this fact about Newsstand. I love ESPN magazine, I just re-upped for two more years of it.

But I really wish it was in Newsstand instead of its own app.

Same goes for Sports Illustrated, among others.

11. matrix07, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Search App Store. Any ones that look like magazine is Newsstand compatible. You can click and read description inside. Most will specify clearly if they're compatible with Newsstand or not. Lack of exclusive search for Newsstand is a pain but the work around is not too hard.
    Any magazine you wish is not compatible with Newsstand you should send e-mail to ask the content owner to re-consider their position.

There is no such restriction in Newsstand. You should contact your app developer.

12. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Newsstand is fantastic. The other magazine apps that are in the App Store but not using Newsstand are doing their users a disservice.

The way subscriptions seamlessly download to your device in the background, the store and presentation are all great.

I think the reason why the Newsstand section of the Store doesn't have it's own search function is because there simply aren't that many magazine apps in there yet. You can try search for magazines through the main App Store though.

The only thing I wish is that there was a standard UI or publication method, some magazines are simply large images. This will have to change as large retina sized images will mean iPad magazines could be approaching 1gb per issue which is unsustainable.