Explain to me what's going on with my email...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by njaremka, Mar 14, 2011.

1. njaremka macrumors 6502

I have a Verizon iPhone set up with my Yahoo! email account. I have the premium service, mail plus, or whatever they call it. I also have the mail setup for push.

Here's my issue: Every now and then, I won't get new messages until I go into my mailbox - as if I had it setup for fetch. Now, what's the point of having push available if it won't push? Is it an issue with Yahoo! since they recently changed their servers? (because of the whole Windows phone issues?) Or is this an iPhone server issue?

2. jdaniel macrumors 65816

this maybe superfluous, but have you checked your push intervals? fastest is 15mins.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

There are no Push intervals, in the iPhone.

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

IIRC, the iPhone only supports push when using an Exchange server or MobileMe. IMAP and POP accounts only support fetch or manual.

5. jdaniel macrumors 65816

fetch/push whatever the effect is the same isnt it? What he wants is to be informed when there is new email.

See pictures attached, if you set it to manual it will NEVER get mail even if push is on.

So check that you have it set to whatever you prefer and it should fix it.

Attached Files:

6. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

actually, yahoo paid services DO support push. i will receive push email. but, every now and then, i won't receive new messages until i open my mailbox.

did you even read what is on the screen? you have your phone set to "Push" for new emails. then, DIRECTLY UNDER THAT CHECK BOX it says "Fetch: The schedule below is used when push is off or for applications which do not support push." under the "Fetch" scheduler, is the advanced tab, which lists all your email accounts. inside that tab is a listing of all your setup email accounts and which schedule they support: fetch or push. if push is not available, the only option is fetch. (i have two emails setup on my phone, and one of them only has fetch available.)

so, it seems this is an intermittant issue for me. i guess i can live with it.

7. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Awesome, I was not aware of that being supported. As for the push issue, I have seen that on several occations with my company's Exchange server. I have not been able to figure out any rhyme or reason for it yet.

8. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

You need to setup your mail on the iphone using the Microsoft exchange method not the default (built in) Yahoo account thing!

Delete what you have and setup using the exchange method and it will work correctly!

9. njaremka thread starter macrumors 6502

um, no. like i said already, i DO receive push email. only on occassion, like one day out of the month, i wont receive my messages until i open my mailbox. in my email settings, i have "Fetch New Data - Push" and the fetch schedule set to "Manual". that's how i know i do receive push email.