Explain what this firewall setting does.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netnothing, Mar 20, 2008.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Can someone explain exactly what the firewall setting, Set access for specific services and applications, does if you don't add any apps or services to it?

For example, I have no sharing services on. When I choose that option in the firewall, I thought I read somewhere, where apps would start asking to allow incoming connections as they are started. They don't for me. Other than I enabled stealth mode in that setting, I'm not sure what it does unless I add a program to the list.

Is it blocking all connections for all apps, until a specific app is accessed?

Any insight? I'm running 10.5.2....with all the latest updates.

-Kevin

2. kolax macrumors G3

It should prompt you when a program requires access. You can deny or allow that. You can also manually enter programs into the list.

To sum up - you are right, it is a list of programs (aside from OS X apps) that are allowed to receive incoming data (by opening the corresponding port). Anything that isn't on the list in theory will not be able to receive incoming connections.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

So it will only prompt WHEN the app is trying to receive incoming data? For example, just opening Firefox and browsing the web shouldn't have a prompt?

Is this the setting most people use?

I'm at home behind a router on my Mac Pro, so right now it's off. However, my Mom is going to be getting a Macbook soon, so I'm trying to understand Leopard's firewall.

-Kevin

4. kolax macrumors G3

5. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

This is the part that confuses me:

They make it sound like when you open an app for the first time, it will ask you this question.

-Kevin

6. kolax macrumors G3

I ran Firefox and it didn't prompt me either (even though it isn't in the list).

Odd. Every other program has prompted and not worked otherwise.

7. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Wonder if a reboot is required. I know it's on with stealth mode because I can't ping it from my Windows box.

However, no program is prompting me.

-Kevin

8. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok, just had Word ask me. Odd.

No reboot.

-Kevin