Explanations Needed: No viruses, market share, etc.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shotgun OS, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone. I'm doing a project for a class at school. Basicially, I need to write an essay question, and then try to prove something. In my case, My questions "Which is better? A Mac or a PC?" I need some resourceful documents to help prove that a Mac is better than a PC, and vice versa.

I have been researching for hours looking for documents on:

1) Why Macs do not have viruses: I need a source that explains the structure of Unix, and why Macs are more stable because of that.

2) A graph (perferably) or a chart that shows recent marketshare values for Macs and PCs. (If theres other OSes, I dont mind.)

If anyone could direct me to some sources for information no these subjects, I would greatly appreciate it!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This question has been beaten to death on this and other forums. A simple forum search will reveal possibly hundreds of threads on the topic. Starting a new thread will not shed any new light on the subject.

3. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trust me; I've searched the forums. All I get is "The Unix-based operating system is more stable than Windows" and older charts from 2004 about marketshare. I need some more up-to-date information.

4. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Marketshare is 8%. Who cares. Statement. 40% of college students say that their next computer will be a Mac. The OS is what makes the systems. The MAN is what makes the company.

PCWorld is a good source for scathing Vista reviews and articles about the Mac being a better set of hardware and software. If that's not good enough, come back and I'll give you more.

6. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Unless you can backup all of those numbers, I'm going to assume you just pulled those numbers out of thin air.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. If you had, then you have seen these threads.

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

global marketshare is 3.3% according to onestat.com and IDC(?) data.
    8% is largely US marketshare.

Viruses issue, obviously one I know is strict access to low level system core in Unix/Linux structure.

But codes are written by humans, with billions of code in an OS, its impossible to be safe all the time with absolutely no viruses.

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-the-future-of-malware-and-platform-security/

Here is a nice chart of web server market share. And here is a nice article showing that popularity, at least in web servers, has nothing to do with attacks.

There is a lot more out there.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i don't think roughlydrafted is a good source, the articles there, especially comparison of apple vs. non-apple, are mostly biased and filled with imaginary "facts".

For a serious research, I would avoid apple.com, roughlydrafted, and macdailynews.

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

[Long Answer Snipped: On reflection, perhaps not relevant.]

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Care to elaborate?

15. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Just say Mac is better because we at MacRumors:Forums said so!!!

:D

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I would if I can find a source first. :D stay tuned and I might post back when I get some time.