Exploding iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iphonefreakz, Aug 3, 2009.

1. iphonefreakz macrumors member

iphonefreakz

Hey guys, take a look at this. A 11-year-old teenager Ellie Stanborough her iPod Touch made a hissing noise, became hotter and hotter and finally exploded in the garden.

Ellie Stanborough her father says: “They’re putting a life sentence on myself, my daughter and Ellie’s mum, not to say anything to anyone. If we inadvertently did say anything, no matter what, they would take litigation against us. I thought that was absolutely appalling." :eek:

Read the hole story here.

2. hamish5178 macrumors member

They said to keep the terms of the settlement confidential, not to keep the news of the exploding iPod confidential. What is wrong with that? They don't want people trying to blow up their iPods for cash (because I'm sure they gave them more than $229, someone could've been hurt).

3. 101X macrumors member

4. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I have not seen much in MR about all the stories of Apple threatening legal action over bad touchs/iphones.

That's weird, I thought when an OEM makes a defective product they are the responsible party, not the end user!

Shame on Apple, again.
    :eek:

5. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

Ooh he went public. Did he take the cash?

you know what they say...You break a deal: you spin the wheel.

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

What gen would that iPod touch be? Now I'm concerned because my iPod touch (1st gen) is getting really hot recently.:eek:

7. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

3rd Gen iPod Touch coming out this September.

8. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

From the photo, looks like a second gen.

looks like the back is bevelled, and no plastic corner tab (the correct side to show that is facing forward... could be reversed pic I suppose..)

9. secretpact macrumors 6502

I think Apple should be looking into this more carefully. This is not an isolated incident, according to the article.

10. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

They very well might be - although they would never admit to it...

This sort of thing was summed up quite well by Ed Norton in Fight Club... something to do with cost of projected settlement versus cost of recall.

11. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

Yes, **** Apple indeed. :apple:

These things are dangerous!

12. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Thats what I was thinking. It could just be a few bad batches of batteries.

Everything can be dangerous. Even your socks.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

This is probably an isolated incident. There are so many iPod touches at my school, not one has gotten "hot" or "exploded". I'm willing to bet they probably were at fault here.

14. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

My 1st gen is acting irrelevant it has gotten hot and the battery life is shorter..

15. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

apple & product is cool. but sometimes they are not in this case. actually, family sued for explosion against Apple. unfortunately Apple was threating them not to get sued. apple tried to block this bad incident this way. I don't think that is not really cool at all. that's why nowadays I start to hate apple. they seem to turn themselves as arrogant axx.

16. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

whats sketchy is that apple is offering a "refund" and calling it a "settlement"

17. ^^ CoolMacLover macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

OMG i thought my socks where trying to kill me lastnight :p

wow... i hope this doesnt happen to me...

18. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Wait a second. If I am reading this correctly, this happened after he dropped the ipod.

quote from article. "Ken Stanborough, 47, from Liverpool, dropped his 11-year-old daughter Ellie’s iPod Touch last month....."

This is not something that just happened. He dropped it and then it caused problems. Am I missing something here? I don't think this has anything to do with batteries. It has everything to do with dropping the ipod.

19. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

It exploded!! Not because it was pounded with a hammer, microwaved, subjected to extreme heat or placed on a train track to see what would happen when the 2:30 came through, but merely from being dropped. LOL it's an iPod not an incendiary device.

20. staticliner macrumors newbie

Top Secret Self Destructing iPod... We have an app for that...

21. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

You know these Apple fantatics would defend Apple if the iPod Touch pulled out a 9 millimeter and shot someone in the chest. "They should've been wearing a bulletproof vest, DUH!"

22. Meek Wriggle macrumors member

I doubt this is true. Apple just don't want bad publicity.

23. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I wonder if the consumer abuse sensor would have helped :confused:

...or, most likely be ruined by the explosion! :eek:

I have not heard of this happening to the Touch, but the Nano is a whole different story :(

This was most likely an isolated incident. The fact that Apple users usually turn into Apple enthusiasts, makes this incident be heard loud n' clear throughout the world because people don't realize this stuff happens to other manufactures all the time!!! It's not that big of a deal, because the product was NEVER that big of a deal ;)

Apple is in the spotlight now ;) ...it can be good and bad at times :cool: