Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreakz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Hey guys, take a look at this. A 11-year-old teenager Ellie Stanborough her iPod Touch made a hissing noise, became hotter and hotter and finally exploded in the garden.

Ellie Stanborough her father says: “They’re putting a life sentence on myself, my daughter and Ellie’s mum, not to say anything to anyone. If we inadvertently did say anything, no matter what, they would take litigation against us. I thought that was absolutely appalling." :eek:

Read the hole story here.

hamish5178

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Newark, DE
They said to keep the terms of the settlement confidential, not to keep the news of the exploding iPod confidential. What is wrong with that? They don't want people trying to blow up their iPods for cash (because I'm sure they gave them more than $229, someone could've been hurt).

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I have not seen much in MR about all the stories of Apple threatening legal action over bad touchs/iphones.

That's weird, I thought when an OEM makes a defective product they are the responsible party, not the end user!

Shame on Apple, again.
:eek:

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
Ooh he went public. Did he take the cash?

you know what they say...You break a deal: you spin the wheel.

alexlovesmacs

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
What gen would that iPod touch be? Now I'm concerned because my iPod touch (1st gen) is getting really hot recently.:eek:

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
From the photo, looks like a second gen.

looks like the back is bevelled, and no plastic corner tab (the correct side to show that is facing forward... could be reversed pic I suppose..)

secretpact

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I think Apple should be looking into this more carefully. This is not an isolated incident, according to the article.

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
They very well might be - although they would never admit to it...

This sort of thing was summed up quite well by Ed Norton in Fight Club... something to do with cost of projected settlement versus cost of recall.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This is probably an isolated incident. There are so many iPod touches at my school, not one has gotten "hot" or "exploded". I'm willing to bet they probably were at fault here.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
apple & product is cool. but sometimes they are not in this case. actually, family sued for explosion against Apple. unfortunately Apple was threating them not to get sued. apple tried to block this bad incident this way. I don't think that is not really cool at all. that's why nowadays I start to hate apple. they seem to turn themselves as arrogant axx.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
whats sketchy is that apple is offering a "refund" and calling it a "settlement"

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Wait a second. If I am reading this correctly, this happened after he dropped the ipod.

quote from article. "Ken Stanborough, 47, from Liverpool, dropped his 11-year-old daughter Ellie’s iPod Touch last month....."

This is not something that just happened. He dropped it and then it caused problems. Am I missing something here? I don't think this has anything to do with batteries. It has everything to do with dropping the ipod.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Wait a second. If I am reading this correctly, this happened after he dropped the ipod.

quote from article. "Ken Stanborough, 47, from Liverpool, dropped his 11-year-old daughter Ellie’s iPod Touch last month....."

This is not something that just happened. He dropped it and then it caused problems. Am I missing something here? I don't think this has anything to do with batteries. It has everything to do with dropping the ipod.

It exploded!! Not because it was pounded with a hammer, microwaved, subjected to extreme heat or placed on a train track to see what would happen when the 2:30 came through, but merely from being dropped. LOL it's an iPod not an incendiary device.

staticliner

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Hey guys, take a look at this. A 11-year-old teenager Ellie Stanborough her iPod Touch made a hissing noise, became hotter and hotter and finally exploded in the garden.

Ellie Stanborough her father says: “They’re putting a life sentence on myself, my daughter and Ellie’s mum, not to say anything to anyone. If we inadvertently did say anything, no matter what, they would take litigation against us. I thought that was absolutely appalling." :eek:

Read the hole story here.

Top Secret Self Destructing iPod... We have an app for that...

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
It exploded!! Not because it was pounded with a hammer, microwaved, subjected to extreme heat or placed on a train track to see what would happen when the 2:30 came through, but merely from being dropped. LOL it's an iPod not an incendiary device.

You know these Apple fantatics would defend Apple if the iPod Touch pulled out a 9 millimeter and shot someone in the chest. "They should've been wearing a bulletproof vest, DUH!"

Meek Wriggle

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
UK
They said to keep the terms of the settlement confidential, not to keep the news of the exploding iPod confidential. What is wrong with that? They don't want people trying to blow up their iPods for cash (because I'm sure they gave them more than $229, someone could've been hurt).

I doubt this is true. Apple just don't want bad publicity.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I wonder if the consumer abuse sensor would have helped :confused:

...or, most likely be ruined by the explosion! :eek:

I have not heard of this happening to the Touch, but the Nano is a whole different story :(

This was most likely an isolated incident. The fact that Apple users usually turn into Apple enthusiasts, makes this incident be heard loud n' clear throughout the world because people don't realize this stuff happens to other manufactures all the time!!! It's not that big of a deal, because the product was NEVER that big of a deal ;)

Apple is in the spotlight now ;) ...it can be good and bad at times :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.