Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I have my video files that I imported into FCPX but now someone else needs access to them and i don't know if they have FCPX. I don't need them edited just the raw clips. is there a simple and free way to export these clips and keep them individual?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Click on the clip to select it, share as master to the folder location you want. Repeat for all clips you want to share.

If you have a bunch, highlight the clip and select show location (reveal in finder). That will give you the folder on your hard drive where the imported media reside. Use the finder to drag the files from that folder to a folder you want to share (on another drive perhaps).

If they have FCPX, you can just copy your library.

Last edited:

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
You can also click and drag a range on a clip in the Event Browser and export from there or use the R key to select range mode and select a range on the timeline and selectively export that. Unfortunately you cannot export multiple clips or ranges in a single pass.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
You can also click and drag a range on a clip in the Event Browser and export from there or use the R key to select range mode and select a range on the timeline and selectively export that. Unfortunately you cannot export multiple clips or ranges in a single pass.

well that's a problem cause i have over 8 hours of footage... :p

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You could create a new project, drop your clips into it, and export the whole thing (or break it into several shorter parts). Use the range tool to select the clips you want.

Unless you take some specific actions, the default Master File is going to be ProRes 422 and 8 hours will be a HUGE file.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
You could create a new project, drop your clips into it, and export the whole thing (or break it into several shorter parts). Use the range tool to select the clips you want...

It is very easy and fast to select a clip in the Event Browser and export that. He can then repeat this as fast as he can type -- it will batch up each export and run them all.

But -- he has 8 hr of unedited clips, but says no edits are needed -- just export them. Since the unedited clips are all that's needed, he actually doesn't need to export them from FCPX at all, just get the folder location of the clips and copy them to a hard drive for handing off.

If they were imported with "leave files in place" they are still sitting on the hard drive in the original location. He can just right click on a file in FCPX, pick "reveal in Finder" and that will show the folder with them all.

If they were imported as a managed library, they are still there, just inside the library. The same technique works, just copy (not move) them out of the library to a hard drive and hand that off.

BeechFlyer

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have my video files that I imported into FCPX but now someone else needs access to them and i don't know if they have FCPX. I don't need them edited just the raw clips. is there a simple and free way to export these clips and keep them individual?
Do you not have the original files anymore that you imported? I would simply share those with the other person. FCPX doesn't even get involved that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.