Export custom map to iPhone for turn by turn navigation

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by diane143, Jul 15, 2013.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I thought Google Maps would do this, but you can't see your "My Places"

I have a few custom maps created that I need to load on the phone. If google can't do this, I need something that will using KML or GPX. If I go off my google maps, I need to convert the KML as I can't figure out how to export a GPX although I have founds posts online saying you can. Hopefully nothing is lost this way.

Will MotionX Drive do this? How does the navigation add-on fee work, I just need it for a few days.

The important things are loading the maps I've created, and spoken directions while still playing music.

You'd think this would be easier after all this time!

iPhone 4S iOS6

Thanks!

2. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow! Over 500 views and not one reply.

MotionX Drive won't do it either, I emailed them. I thought I read in their FAQ it was possible. The only way you can do so is to create multiple destinations, but only 9 or 10 of them. Someone traveling cross country would have to create a lot of individual maps for each stop.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

the problem with custom maps is that usually the map software doesn't find the necessary info needed to do routing. custom maps are a big issue for stand along gps devices as well.

4. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That actually makes sense and you're the first person to say that!

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I read your thread yesterday and had to go back and consult a thread on a gps forum. You might take a look at

http://www.gpsinformation.net/

they also have a forum and custom maps have been an issue for a long time. they focus mostly on stand along gps devices, but you might find something useful there.

they have a number of guides about doing custom maps.

6. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much! I will check it out. I stumbled on a motorcycle forum today that was very similar but the biggest write up I found was with Navigon.

7. Xplicit iPhone macrumors newbie

I believe with google maps you can actually save a route? So if you go on your own route from point a to point b, it will say "save route?" I'm sure anyway

8. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Monday I could save routes. I think you can only save if you modify them, because yesterday I was playing around with stock settings options (ie tolls vs no tolls) and there was no save option.

The problem is, the google maps ios app will NOT let you see your saved routes! You can just see your history. For that matter, when I brought up my saved routes on the laptop, all I could see were my destination points, no map or turn by turn directions. Not sure if there was a glitch in it that day or what

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

From what I recall Google Maps on Android is the same. You can pull up you custom maps but you can't navigate along your route. That said, it has been a long time since I've used Android.

Not surprising -- views with an unclear subject really don't mean much. It's not clear if you're suggesting a solution or asking a question based on the subject alone. One has to click on the thread for clarification.

10. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then apparently a lot of people were looking for the same solution I was ;) Guess I should have put "Looking for". Thanks for the comment, I never thought about that