Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I have just purchased a Mac Pro and will be using MS Office with Outlook. My G4 MDD desktop is running Entourage 10.1.6. Is there a way to transfer the data [emails and addresses] from Entourage to Outlook?

Thank you.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I have just purchased a Mac Pro and will be using MS Office with Outlook. My G4 MDD desktop is running Entourage 10.1.6. Is there a way to transfer the data [emails and addresses] from Entourage to Outlook?

Thank you.

Apparently not.

dave239

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
I have just completed the transfer you described, as I was in exactly the same situation yesterday evening.

It does however assume that you have iCAL and Address Book installed on your old G4.

If you do have them installed and still need help I can provide full details.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I have just completed the transfer you described, as I was in exactly the same situation yesterday evening.

It does however assume that you have iCAL and Address Book installed on your old G4.

If you do have them installed and still need help I can provide full details.

I did a search to see if I did and got nothing. Then I discover my search function is not working, and that with respect to finding anything. The search function on my Mac Pro works just fine, so I don't understand that.

I looked in my applications folder and do find the two you mention. Did they already need to be populated with this information, or are you suggesting data can be moved from Entourage X to these, and then to Outlook?

Thank you.

dave239

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
To avoid confusion please can you confirm that you have found iCAL and Address Book in the Applications folder on your OLD (G4) computer. If you have, then you are in the same situation as me. I started this transfer with "empty" - unpopulated - iCAL and Address Book applications on my old computer.

So the procedure I used does take data from Entourage (on old computer) and get it, via several stages, to Outlook (on new computer).

The procedure is not too complicated - but the stages need to be followed carefully - so whilst awaiting your reply I will write down the stages for you.

I should have said that I have got procedures for transferring Mail, Calendar and Address Book data- I realise that you haven't mentioned Calendar but I will include it for completeness.

Last edited:

SHIFTLife

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Just copy the "Microsoft User Data" folder from /Users/your-username-here/Documents over to the new machine, into the same location.

Launch Outlook 2011, choose Import. Choose Entourage 2008, Entourage 2008 Web Services, or Entourage 2004, and Outlook will work it's own magic for you.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misunderstood. Looks like you might have to install Office 2004 or Office 2008, import the Entourage X data, and then move the Microsoft User Data folder and import the 2004/2008 identity into Outlook. Sorry for the confusion.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
To avoid confusion please can you confirm that you have found iCAL and Address Book in the Applications folder on your OLD (G4) computer. If you have, then you are in the same situation as me. I started this transfer with "empty" - unpopulated - iCAL and Address Book applications on my old computer.

So the procedure I used does take data from Entourage (on old computer) and get it, via several stages, to Outlook (on new computer).

The procedure is not too complicated - but the stages need to be followed carefully - so whilst awaiting your reply I will write down the stages for you.

Yes, I have found iCal and Address Book in the applications folder, and yes, they are not populated.

dave239

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
For info - re message from SHIFTLife:
I should have said that I did try this approach but the version of Entourage was too old to be recognised as SHIFTLife suspected - hence my more complicated approach - although there may still be other ways !!

For bigsnowdog

I have just successfully retested 2 of the 3 procedures and need some sleep now as it is late in UK.
I will complete the 3rd procedure in the morning and then post all 3.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
For info - re message from SHIFTLife:
I should have said that I did try this approach but the version of Entourage was too old to be recognised as SHIFTLife suspected - hence my more complicated approach - although there may still be other ways !!

For bigsnowdog

I have just successfully retested 2 of the 3 procedures and need some sleep now as it is late in UK.
I will complete the 3rd procedure in the morning and then post all 3.

Please, take your time and rest. This is not of crushing urgency. If you don't get it done in several days, that is fine. I would like to get it done at some point, however. Thank you for your efforts!

dave239

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
Please, take your time and rest. This is not of crushing urgency. If you don't get it done in several days, that is fine. I would like to get it done at some point, however. Thank you for your efforts!

Hello again - I appreciate your comment !! - I was keen to do this quite quickly though, while it was still clear in my mind !!

The procedure for Mail is proving slightly more complicated than I expected so I will post that later . In the meantime I am going to post the procedures for AddressBook and Calendar

Last edited:

dave239

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
Here is the procedure for Address Book - again it may not be the simplest way - but it worked for me! :-

Procedure that I used to move ADDRESS BOOK data from Entourage 10.1.6 on old G4 Power Mac (old computer) to Outlook (Office 2011) on new Mac Pro
(apologies if this appears very low level – but I found it easier to include every step in detail - and apologies for any typos).

Warning – no guarantee – I can only confirm that it worked on my system
I recommend taking a backup of your Home Folder in “Users” on both computers before proceeding – in case anything goes wrong.

On old computer open Entourage application and select “Address Book” from top LH pane.

From top of screen “Entourage” menu select “File” – “Export Contacts” .
Set “Save As” name to “YourAddressBook.txt” and Destination to Desktop and click Save.
A file will appear on the desktop called “YourAddressBook.txt”
Quit Entourage.

Transfer the file “YourAddressBook.txt” to your new Mac Pro desktop (I used a USB memory stick).

On the new Mac Pro open Outlook
Select “Contacts” from bottom LH corner pane and blank Address Book will be seen. (It may have your own name in from original installation of Outlook)

On top of screen “Outlook” menu select “File” – “Import”
From “Begin-Import – What do you want to import?” select “Contacts or messages from a text file” and click right arrow.

Leave the “Choose a File Type” set to “Import contacts from a tab- or comma- delimited text file” and click right arrow.

Select the file “YourAddressBook.txt” from the Desktop and click Import.

In the Import Contacts window that appears with lists of fields DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING *, just click Import.

Click Finish. Your contacts should all be visible.

Procedure complete

(* I said don’t change anything because this procedure assumes that you had not done anything unusual in the original Entourage Address Book set up.
– If, like me you have used it “as installed” then everything seems to come across OK including Adresses, Tele Numbers, Notes etc.)

Last edited:

dave239

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
Here is the procedure for Calendar - again it may not be the simplest way - but it worked for me! :-

Procedure that I used to move CALENDAR data from Entourage 10.1.6 on old G4 Power Mac (old computer) to Outlook (Office 2011) on new Mac Pro
(apologies if this appears very low level – but I found it easier to include every step in detail - and apologies for any typos).

Warning – no guarantee – I can only confirm that it worked on my system.
I recommend taking a backup of your Home Folder in “Users” on both computers before proceeding – in case anything goes wrong.

On old computer open iCAL application
From FILE menu select “Import” – then select “Import Entourage Data” and click “Import”.

Entourage will open and a window with progress bar should appear saying “Importing Entourage Data” . When complete, Entourage closes by itself).

In the iCAL window on LHS under CALENDARS there should be several names, eg Home and Work and definitely Entourage.
Make sure that only “Entourage” is ticked. Your calendar should appear. Leave “Entourage” ticked and highlighted.

At top of screen iCAL menu select “File” – “Export”.
Change the Save As name from “Entourage” to YOURNAME
Select Desktop as the Destination and click Export.

A file will appear on the desktop called YOURNAME.ics
Quit iCAL.

Transfer the file YOURNAME.ics to your new Mac Pro desktop (I used a USB memory stick).

On the new Mac Pro open Outlook
Select “Calendar” from bottom LH corner pane and blank Calendar will be seen.
Drag the file YOURNAME.ics onto the Calendar window. (A green + should appear). Release the mouse button and wait. The green + will remain until
your data appears.
The procedure is complete.

If you also want to get the data into iCAL on the new computer this can be done as follows:
Open iCAL and select “File” – “New Calendar” . A new empty Calendar named “Untitled” will appear at the LHS pane.
You can change the name to YOURCHOICE. Make sure this is the only Calendar ticked and leave it highlighted.
Then from top of screen iCAL menu select “File” – “Import” and select the file YOURNAME.ics from the Desktop. Click “Import”.
In the pop-up window make sure the destination calendar name is set to YOURCHOICE and click OK.
Your calendar will appear.

dave239

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
I have now completed a procedure for the Mail transfer - there are some minor (in my opinion) issues - see footnote, but here it is:-

Procedure that I used to move MAIL data from Entourage 10.1.6 on old G4 Power Mac (old computer) to Outlook (Office 2011) on new Mac Pro –

Warning – no guarantee – I can only confirm that it worked on my system for most message types (see footnote).

On old computer open Mail application (included with default Applications)
Skip the import mail stages, until you end up with an almost “empty” window. (You may see empty Inbox and Sent mailboxes at LHS).
Select “File” – “Import Mailboxes” and from “Import data from” select “Microsoft Entourage” and click continue.

Select the Items to import (I selected everything) and click continue.
Note the location of imported mailboxes and the name of the folder (I am assuming it will be called “Import” ) and click Done.
Select the Mailbox “Import” and leave it highlighted.

***From the top of screen menu select “Mailbox “- “Archive Mailbox.”
Select Desktop as the destination and click Choose.
A folder will appear on the Desktop called “Import”. You can now quit Mail.
To avoid confusion later on I suggest you rename this folder “MailTransfer”.
Check that this folder contains your “expected” subfolders and that they are not just default 4Kb items.
If they are not of sensibly large size something has gone wrong with the archive.
If this problem occurs delete the folder from the desktop, re-open Mail, and repeat from *** at the start of this paragraph.

Transfer this folder to your new Mac Pro desktop (I used a USB memory stick).

On the new Mac Pro open the Mail application (which may or may not be empty)
Skip the import mail stages (which will appear if it is empty).

Select “File” – “Import Mailboxes”
From “Import data from” select “Apple Mail” then click Continue.
Select the Desktop folder “MailTransfer” and click “Choose”.
In the “Items to import” list make sure all items are ticked and click Continue.
The folder will be imported into Mail. An additional mailbox will appear named “Import” in the list on the LHS. Click Done.
(Note that the name Import is the default name of the first imported mailbox.
This is why I changed the transfer folder’s name to MailTransfer earlier.)

“Mail” now contains the imported messages from “MailTransfer” in the mailbox “Import” and ANY PRE-EXISTING content you may have had in Mail.
(Note - everything in Mail will be included in the next stage.)
Now close Mail.

Open Outlook and select “Mail” from bottom LH corner pane. - A blank Mail screen will appear.

From top of screen Outlook menu select “File” – “Import”
From “Begin Import – What do you want to Import” select “Information from another application”. Then click right arrow.

From “Choose an Application -What would you like to import” select “Apple Mail”. Then click right arrow.

On “Import Items” ensure all items are ticked and click right arrow.
Your mail will be imported and appear as Mail Import in LHS pane .

Click Finish - The procedure is complete.
The mail is now found listed on the LHS under “Mail Import” – “Import”

You can then sort all your mailboxes as/if required !

Footnote: I found a few formatting corruptions but most messages seem OK.
However I have also noted that some attachments transfer all the way
to Apple Mail on the new Mac Pro, perfectly correctly, but do not fully display in Outlook Mail.
I think it must be an attachment “file type” problem but I haven’t solved it yet.
This was why I delayed this post.
However if there is something vital you need to refer to, that doesn’t open fully,
then there is always the option to open Apple Mail and view it there.
In my case it is a very small number of items affected,
so I hope it does not cause you a significant problem.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Thank you very much for all the effort you put into this. Just now I am tied up in a big project I cannot leave, that may take a week. When I am done with it, I will try this.

Thank you again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.