Export from Final Cut Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ArtOfWarfare, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Ok... so I exported a video from a computer at school that was made in Final Cut Pro, threw it on my keydrive, took it home, and found that I couldn't play it in Quicktime.

When I try quicklooking it, the sound plays, but the video is black. When I actually launch it in quicktime, it gives an error message saying I aught to download some new codecs. It doesn't even specify the codec that I need.

Seriously, what the heck? FCP is so cool with all its flexibility and stuff but really, they need some more guys to test it and verify that it just works. Isn't that Apple's policy on everything else? I'd understand if I had all sorts of plugins and weird settings at school but I just used the default export.

So... what do I need to download to make this video play? The extension is just ".mov" (I haven't changed it or anything,)

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

You need to export it as h264 or something more universal. You probably used 'current settings' and dont have the codec installed on your computer at home (because they are not part of OS X, but come with FCP).

This is not a problem with FCP, and can happen with any video editor/encoder if you do not know what you are doing.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

QT is just a wrapper, not a codec. A file ending in .MOV could be one of over a hundred different codecs. Some codecs only come with FCP so they can't be played back on machines that don't have FCP installed. If you open the QT file, hit command+I and look under "format" that will tell you what codec the QT is using.

Here is a list of the codecs that are installed by default by QT player.

Lethal

4. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

HDV 1080i60, 1440 x 1080 (1888 x 1062), Millions
    16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz

I looked online for information on the HDV quicktime codec... apparently it's only available with Final Cut Pro. Geez Apple, way to run a monopoly. Seriously, isn't Apple supposed to be the one that embraces open source standards and Microsoft the one to make ridiculous new standards that no one else wants to use?

So... will this download let me open the video properly:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/calibratedqxddecode.html

or is there something else I should get instead?

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe