Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RightAway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Hello, is there a way to export a movie from imovie to a watchable format without actually opening imovie. My computer is severely breaking down, and i cant open half of my apps.
thanks

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
If you have QuickTime Pro and can get QT Player open (or another app that can recompress a QT movie) you can go to the iMovie file, command (or right-) click on it, select "Show Package Contents", and browse around within the package until you find the iDVD export .mov; that should be a version of the cut-together movie that you can then open in QT Player and export. I do this frequently to bypass iMovie for various reasons.

mumcroft

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
DVD back to iMovie

I have a similiar question. I made a movie in iMovie, exported it to iDVD, burned it to a DVD, then lost the original iMovie file. Is there a way to import it back into iMovie?

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have a similiar question. I made a movie in iMovie, exported it to iDVD, burned it to a DVD, then lost the original iMovie file. Is there a way to import it back into iMovie?

1. Download Handbrake:
http://handbrake.fr/?article=download

2. Insert the DVD into your Mac

3. Load up Handbrake application

4. Handbrake scans the disk you select on startup

You will be able to select and export the video off the DVD with Handbrake.

fscarpa

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
I've made a Project and exported it as .avi but the quality got very poor. I'd like to get the movie from iMovie and make a DVD with iDVD, so what would be the best way (talking about quality of images) to export it?

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've made a Project and exported it as .avi but the quality got very poor. I'd like to get the movie from iMovie and make a DVD with iDVD, so what would be the best way (talking about quality of images) to export it?

QuickTime MOV files are the best. To conserve space, you should encode it with H.264. (mp4 format) But if quality is your thing, don't use H.264.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.