Export from Photos to folders?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fontane, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

I currently manage my photos with a simple folder structure. I came from windows a few years ago, and have managed my files in folders since the 90s.

Right now all my photos sit in Dropbox. When I take a picture on my phone, dropbox uploads it to the temporary "camera uploads" folder where I then copy it to whichever folder I want in my pictures directory (which is in my dropbox folder). While I don't mind this setup, I'm curious about making things easier with Apple Photos and just having everything automatically organize and sync.

So, my question is, if I jump into Photos and either do not like it or later want to migrate to a different OS, is there a way to export my photos back out into some kind of folder structure? Said another way, how does Photos organize the pictures it exports (by folder, date, etc)?

Thanks!

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Yes, you can export photos to a folder from Photos. Depending on how many folder you want to put them in, it may take some effort. But you could export them all to a folder and drag them to subfolders too.

3. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

But with thousands of photos it would be useless to have them all in one folder. Does Photos export the photos to folders that are named after something (such as the location)?

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Yes. File > Export. If you select multiple folders and/or albums, it'll create a folder for each of them. You can export the edited versions, or the unmodified originals. Have fun.

RTFM

5. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

But how does Apple organize the photos into folders? In other words, does it create folders by date, by event, by ??

Thanks!

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Whatever the folder's name is. Since I ran a test with a mixture of events (date) and albums (names), my test results reflected that.