export HD to lcd TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cage715, Sep 26, 2010.

1. cage715 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Currently I have a 2009 macbook pro. I have it connected to my tv with a mini display port to vga i believe. currently it does not let me play HD content from my itunes to my TV, theres some message that pops up that wont let me. Anyways, i was wondering if i had the mini display port to HDMI, then ran that to my LCD, will that work to play HD content from my Itunes on my macbook to my tv? Thanks in advance!!!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

What exactly does the message say? Because VGA can carry HD resolutions, even if it is outdated

3. cage715 thread starter macrumors newbie

something about not being an authorized player and HDCP, I dont have anyting infront of me to test it out but I was reading that I needed an HDMI cord of some sorts, so i am just checking here to see what you guys say.

4. crypticlineage macrumors regular

VGA can't do things as well as HDMI can. Get a mini displayport to HDMI adapter, a HDMI cable (newegg sells a rosewill 6ft cable for 5.99 and ships for free) and you're set to go. All this assuming of course that your TV supports HDMI interface.

Remember, the audio will not pass through HDMI cable, you'll need a separate audio cable for that.

People keep on telling me that newer mbps send audio over HDMI, but no they dont. I have a mid2010 mbp and I still need to connect an audio cable.

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

My MBP sends audio fine through HDMI, you are wrong. I even bought a cheap MDP to HDMI adapter.

6. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Thats strange. Why doesn't mine transmit audio then? I bought this one from Amazon.

7. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

Please tell me which one! I got lost looking through the adapter test page. I have a brand new 15" so I should get audio, right?

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I don't remember where I got it from but I believe I typed MDP to HDMI adapter in google and went to the shopping page and picked the cheapest one. But mine does infact transmit audio through HDMI.

9. dslade09 macrumors member

10. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

Only mid-2010 MacBook Pros support audio over Mini-DisplayPort.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3065

It says:
    Code:
    iMac (Late 2009), MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), and MacBook (13-inch,
    Mid 2010) computers supply an audio signal from the Mini-DisplayPort.