Export iMovie 08 video from Keynote?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaveF, Jul 27, 2008.

1. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I'm making slideshow videos of my Keynote speeches using its export feature and iMovie to integrate the audio. I'm unable to directly import Keynote's exported video into iMovie 08. Instead I have to use MPEG Streamclip as an intermediate to convert Keynote (MPEG-4) video to H.264 so iMovie 08 will import it.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

Has anyone played with this? Is there a way to export video from Keynote that iMovie 08 can directly import?

Thanks!

2. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

i think you can choose h.264 while you export
    [​IMG]"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SailorTom macrumors regular

This is interesting. There is a group of us doing this (video lectures) except we're using powerpoint as some of us are using windows.

You should definately be able to select h.264 output when exporting the keynote, but if you can choose a codec with high quality output to work in imovie with, as once you've added audio and publish it, it will get compressed again.

we were thinking of going down the screen and narration capture route. Anyway it'd be good to find out how well different methods work, if anyone has any experience of this sort of thing.

4. DaveF thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the comments. I've done some more digging and and bit more testing. Trivial test cases work fine: basic slide shows export as H.264 / MPEG-4 videos that iMovie 08 recognizes.

However, my presentation has embedded video in it. I'm running tests to see if that's the specific problem. Perhaps something about exporting a Keynote slideshow as video, when it has video in it, causes an export problem.