Export iMovie/FCE from HF10 video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by teonebello, Dec 9, 2008.

1. teonebello macrumors newbie

Hi!!!

I have a strange "problem". I can import the video from my canon hf10 with both iMovie 08 and the last FCE. The problem is in the export.

I recorded in the highest resolution and when I import, both programs converts the original video in the apple one. That is ok. Then if I edit the video with FCE and do the "export" (without touching a settings) I have a perfect video in a perfect resolution(.mov file 1920x1080).

If I edit the video with iMovie, I cannot export without setting like in FCE. I tried the apple tv setting, good but in lower resolution. I tried manually in mp4, mov, dv (with different bitrates) but the quality is still lower.

Which is the best export setting for iMovie 08 for the HF10?
    Why FCE export so easily(and faster) in a perfect quality?

I know that I can edit with iMovie 08, than export to FCE, but I lost the music and transaction...

Thank you for the help mac users
    Ciao
    Matteo:apple:

2. teonebello thread starter macrumors newbie

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

When you click export movie in iMovie, what are your settings if you click options (in the box in the screenshot). I assume it's 1080p so in compression type, you want to have DVCPRO HD 1080p30 or 1080p25 if your working with PAL video. This will compress the video less and will provide a better quality. BTW, if you have FCE, why are you editing in iMovie? You have movie options and "freedom" in FCE. You also have more options for exporting in FCE.

Regards,
    David

Attached Files:

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

The answer depends on the intended destination for your video. Web? DVD? HD media player? Etc. Details?

5. teonebello thread starter macrumors newbie

i saw your answer here. Thanks. I would store the movie in the HD. So max quality, don't care about file size.

I tought H.264, 10000 bitrates. Ma the qulity in export in FCE is always better. But they don't use the quicktime export?

Thanks
    Ciao
    Matteo