export in final cut express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by roslee7, Sep 19, 2010.

1. roslee7 macrumors regular

i have install final cut express 4 on my macbook air. everything works perfect. i import hi definition video which i shot using iphone4 and canon ixus100 and when i export it to quicktime, the result is not HD format. The setting and export setting everyhing is correct. i always choose 1280 x780 or 720p format for HD. whats went wrong? i try in imovie, the export is ok. my enlighten me

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What settings do you use to export and what settings has the exported video? You can check the second via opening the exported video in QT Player (7 or X) and press CMD+I.

3. roslee7 thread starter macrumors regular

export to quicktime. btw, its not the first time using FCP. i am familiar with it but just funny recently when i install on my MBA. Still looking for solution

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you at least answer this?

Btw, what FCE version do you use and how do you import the video from the iPhone and the ixus100? Do you transcode it first to an FCE compatible format like .mov with the AIC?

5. roslee7 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks bro for your help. i import the iphone4 video thru iphotos. From iphotos, just drag it into final cut express ver 4. When export the video in FCE 4, just select export>quicktime.The output is like 640 x 480 (4:3) . I just reinstalled it and it back to normal. I really dont know why in the first place..hehe, but now when i export it and using the same method, the video is in full screen and hi definition.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It may have to do with your sequence settings.

Also know, that the iPhone 4 records videos using the H264 codec, something editing applications don't really like. It is best to transcode the video to an editable format like .mov using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for video and Uncompressed for audio.
    You can do that via MPEG Streamclip, it even has a batch function, meaning you can add several clips to the Batch List and apply one universal setting (AIC and Uncompressed) and it converts all video to the same format.

You might have noticed, that you needed to render the timeline more than usual, but that wouldn't be necessary, if you use the right format and codecs and the correct sequence settings.