Export iTunes Library from Mac to Windows7?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Philberttheduck, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

I sold my MBP so that I can save for the anticipated retina 13" MBP later on, so in the meantime I'm planning on using my newly built HTPC with SSD drive (one of the reasons why I sold the MBP was because SSD has shown me the way) with Windows 7.

Problem is, while I have a copy of my iTunes library (both the XML files and content) on an external hard drive, I realized there's a difference in the coding that I cannot simply point to the library file in the external. I was wondering if there was an easy way (application possibly?) to re-code the necessary files to let me sync up my iTunes? I still have iPods that are paired to the library that it'd be really inconvenient to re-create the playlists and sync all the info again.

Any possible help would be apprecaited, dank ya

2. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

Just copy everything (the iTunes folder) and you'll be fine. Even half star ratings :)

3. Mike in Kansas, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

The issue isn't how the files are "encoded" on your drive, it's whether your PC can read your external drive - which depends on how you formatted it.

If it's formatted in HFS or HFS+ (standard Mac formatting) you are pretty much out of luck. Windows can't read that drive. If you can somehow get that data into a cloud or onto a flash drive and then move THAT to your PC, you may be OK.

See from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

EDITED TO ADD:

OK, looks like there are some 3rd party plug-ins and apps on the Windows side that allow you to read an HFS+ drive. Just Google "read HFS+ drive on PC" to find them.