Export MPEG2 from FCE4?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OrganMusic, Aug 2, 2009.

1. OrganMusic macrumors 6502

I've looked all over the net for a solution to this problem, I can't believe it's this hard.

All I want to do is export MPEG2 files from FCE4 so I can burn them to DVDs in Toast without having to take the time to first export a .DV then have toast do the conversion.

It seems some people have been able to do this when certain versions of DVDSP are installed which gives them the mpeg export component. It seems like buying the MPEG2 playback component will not accomplish this.

Project example:

an hour-long project from .DV tape with a few minor edits. Would like to get on DVD with very basic or even no menus. Currently this takes quite some time (more than twice the playback time) as I have to export a quicktime DV, then take that into toast which then takes another hour to make into a DVD image.

If I could export an MPEG2 directly I would only have to wait for the export, then toast will burn it with no further processing.

My old Pentium 4 running pinnacle studio could do this in almost real time, so I'm sure there's a better way on my 2.8 C2D

2. OrganMusic thread starter macrumors 6502

Come on guys, this can't be a hard question... is there another forum I would be likely to get an answer?

3. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Could you export a MOV from FCE using the same settings as the sequence (File -> Export -> Quicktime Movie...) and make sure it's not self-contained (so it doesn't take forever to do it and create a huge mov in the process) and then dump that on Toast to create a DVD?

4. OrganMusic thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I did just try that and it seemed to work quickly for some things. But at other times it just makes essentially a new DV file anyway, for example at least one of my videos had some different formats in it (16x9 DV, 4x3 DV cropped to fit a 16x9 frame, DV ripped from a DVD, still photos etc.). And I'm ok with having it take time to render out, but to have to render out to a quicktime then wait for Toast to transcode it for DVD takes far more time than it should. I'd just like to be able to render out straight to MPEG2 so Toast can burn it without transcoding.

Just need more experimenting I guess.

5. OrganMusic thread starter macrumors 6502

digging up an old thread of mine...

So I'm still wishing for a smoother way to get stuff from FCE onto a DVD. I can get good quality by just doing a simple "Export / Quicktime movie" but then I've got to wait 45 minutes for a 1-hour sequence and another hour or more for Toast or iDVD to encode it.

I don't suppose Snow Leopard's new MPEG2 quicktime capability gives it the ability to export MPEG2, does it?

This all makes me miss Pinnacle Studio on my old XP box which could make a DVD from a sequence shot on DV tape in less than real time on my PENTIUM 4!