Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littledaveuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2016
Apologies for asking for help on my first post but im under pressure not to lose any photos from my GF

I know its possible to export the photos from mac Photos to an external hdd, but can this be done whilst preserving the Albums etc.

On another note it seems my girlfriend has 2 files which im assuming is the photo libraries.

• Photos Library 2.photoslibrary - 29 August 2015 - 43GB
  • Photos Library.photoslibrary - Today - 96GB

Is the Photos Library 2.photoslibrary a left over from when the iPhoto upgraded to Photos?

Im looking to export all photos and albums to a external HDD, and install a fresh SSD to the Macbook with a clean install of Capitan.

Any help would be appreciated as i dont really get on with the Mac's

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
iPhoto had a way to export and save the "events" structure, but I have not found any way to do that with albums in Photos.

Both those libraries you have there are Photos libraries and neither is an iPhoto library (assuming nobody renamed anything). The old iPhoto library would be named "iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary" by default after the Photos import.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.