Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear4asian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I use FinalCut and have some clips that I want to share in the highest possible quality to send to another editor.

I want that other editor to be able to edit and produce the highest possible quality resolution.

I think I can accomplish that by choosing to do: Export/Quicktime Movie/Current settings.

Is this correct? If not, can you suggest the best method to use?

Thanks

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
What will the other editor be using to edit with? Does the other editor have a preference? I think understanding your requirements will aid in making a recommendation.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Exporting current settings will transcode the material to the sequence codec if it differs from that of the source material.

Best way to make sure you're maintaining quality is to send him the original footage. Send him a project file that specifies the clips.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Most importantly you should talk to the editor and find out what he expects.

If you export with the same settings as your project and uncheck "Recompress All Frames," you will output a flattened video with no additional compression except for segments with transitions or effects.

Another alternative is to send him the original footage with the FCP file or, if he's not on FCP, with an XML cutlist.

A final alternative would be to just render it out with ProRes, which is a good codec that takes a few generations for artifacts to become noticeable.

But seriously, ask your editor what would work best for him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.