export video in final cut express and takes so long

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by roslee7, Jan 3, 2010.

1. roslee7 macrumors regular

i am doing some edit video in final cut express and the video just about 1-2min. when i export to quicktime conversion and chosed H.264 of DV quality, it takes about 3-4 hrs. why is that so? why it takes so long to export. i dont understand.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What do you mean by "H.264 of DV quality"?

Either you use the H264 codec or the DV codec?

The DV codec is meant for editing purposes, the H264 codec is meant for distribution, as it results in a lot smaller file.

What computer do you have and what FCE version and what Mac OS X version do your run?

3. roslee7 thread starter macrumors regular

i am using FCE VER 4. What i did is after minor editing, i export>using quicktime conversion>format quicktime movie>setting>compression type>H.264>BEST quality. i am using Macbook air.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could first export a DV encoded .mov file in FCE, which should be 220-440MB in size. That should be quicker as no proper re-encoding is done.

Then use MPEG STreamclip (www.squared5.com) to convert the DV .mov file into a H264 .mov file, for which you even can determine the final file size and if the file is being multi passed (the more passes the better the image quality if the bitrate is variable).

See if that is any faster.

PS: Are there many effects in the final sequence?

5. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

+1

Just use file>export as quicktime movie. That will be the fastest and the is will be at the highest quality possible.

What file type is the original footage in.